Egg peeping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suzierd, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    My one egg has been peeping since yesterday noon it's 3:30 now still hasn't made a hole in the egg should I make it a air hole? I really need help!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I don't like to mess with eggs. they can do it themselves. If you feel you must, I would wait 48 hrs.since you hear them peep, put a small hole in the large end of the egg very carefully. and then leave it for another 24 hrs. or longer. they cannot come out of the egg right after they start to peep because the air in the egg is not the same as on the outside, and they have to get used to it. If you help beyond that, go slow and if you see any blood STOP, and wait another 12 hrs. or you'll end up with a chick with a nasty belly button. My advise would be let it be and don't keep opening the bator they have hatched on their own for eons.

I set up my very last batch to hatch on their own while I was on a trip. I came home 2 days after they hatched, I had food and water in a large homemade hatcher and when I got home they hatched and figured out food and water on their own. it was sooo cool. yeah me!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You are likely to do more harm than good if you "assist" too early. Let it be and let Nature do her thing. They can take up to 48 hours (sometimes more) to hatch after they start peeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by