Egg Peritonitis Help

Yes! The help here at BYC is invaluable!
Well, to let you know, my girl, Cheetah just squawked and passed away. At least I know I tried everything I could, and she had a peaceful death. šŸ˜¢ Again, thank you all for your questions, and wisdom. ā¤ļø

Attachments

• 29DBBEE8-2E89-4176-A543-7C38CDFE52B1.jpeg
    29DBBEE8-2E89-4176-A543-7C38CDFE52B1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Yes, go ahead and treat them all with the Corid. They could be harboring a light load of coccidia, and if so, it would be good to get rid of them before they decide to commit mischief. The Corid treatment is so simple and non-invasive, it's often done as a matter of course every so often as a preventative. Just mix two teaspoons of liquid Corid in one gallon of water or make half that amount if you wish for just the four chickens. Do it for five days. Wait a week and do one more round. Be sure to withhold vitamins during treatment.
Hi there! Happy New Year! I feel so happy Margaret is still with us! She is hanging with her flock and free ranging all day... still taking some breaks but I feel like she is doing better. Even pecking ā€œlittle girlsā€ who get too close to her snacks! She isnā€™t 100% but Iā€™m grateful for everyday with her! I started treating the flock with Corid today. Added to their water jugs BUT Iā€™m curious... they really donā€™t seem to be drinking much! Iā€™m sure they are but those gallons arenā€™t even close to being empty. I read as well to refill everyday with Corid right? Do they still get the right amount even if they donā€™t drink it all... also what if one hen drinks more than the other? Ha.. so many questions! šŸ˜†

Corid isn't like an antibiotic where you need to get a precise dose into the patient. Corid is a thiamine blocker. As long as they drink the Corid water as their only water source, they'll get the blocker into their guts.

When I just have a few chickens to treat as you do, I mix up about a quart of water with half a teaspoon of the Corid. In summer, when chickens drink more, I mix a half gallon when just treating a few. This is what I did recently. I have eighteen chickens in the main coop and four in a smaller coop, so it didn't make sense to give the four a whole gallon. Even the eighteen, being winter, didn't quite go though a half a gallon a day.

Glad to hear the lovely Margaret is doing so well and enjoying life again after her ordeal.

Corid isn't like an antibiotic where you need to get a precise dose into the patient. Corid is a thiamine blocker. As long as they drink the Corid water as their only water source, they'll get the blocker into their guts.

When I just have a few chickens to treat as you do, I mix up about a quart of water with half a teaspoon of the Corid. In summer, when chickens drink more, I mix a half gallon when just treating a few. This is what I did recently. I have eighteen chickens in the main coop and four in a smaller coop, so it didn't make sense to give the four a whole gallon. Even the eighteen, being winter, didn't quite go though a half a gallon a day.

Glad to hear the lovely Margaret is doing so well and enjoying life again after her ordeal.
Hi! Corid has been in their water for 4 days now! One to go! To be honest I donā€™t think are getting much of it because these girls have been obsessed with drinking the run off snow water! šŸ¤£ They much prefer run off puddles and snow itself than to drink from their watering cans hahaha! Iā€™ll continue of course and now that the snow is almost gone they should be getting some more Corid! Iā€™ll also wait a week and do one more 5 day cycle. Does this sound like a good plan? šŸ„°

Good morning! I was thinking of giving Margaret some Nutri-Drench today after a round of Corid and her just seeming a little more tired than usual. Would this be ok? Also, do I just give her directly in beak? šŸ„°šŸ“

Yes, It's a good idea to replenish her vitamin B levels, although Nutridrench is low on those, if it has any at all.
Good morning! I have a strange question! Margaret doing the same šŸ„° She is much lesss active than other girls but better for sure! Now when I bring treats she actually runs to me! As fast as she can with those big feathered feet! She hasnā€™t laid an egg in over a month, which I am fine with! Donā€™t care if she every lays again.. she is my pet! However, she has been going up into her favorite nesting box lately wanting to sleep there. She seems a little sad as well.. can chickens get sad due to not laying eggs? Do you think she will ever lay again? And last question, she has some poop on her feathers... do you bath your girls or let it just eventully fall off? I wonder if she doesnā€™t feel ā€œprettyā€ hahahaa fun picture if she and my son and her twin pillow! šŸ„°

Attachments

• 728CA7D6-72B1-4DC7-82B6-A6D83C21F243.jpeg
    728CA7D6-72B1-4DC7-82B6-A6D83C21F243.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 2
There are two reasons a hen will hang out in a nest box. One is that she feels an egg coming down the chute and is trying to get it out.

The other is that she feels sick and weak and wants to hang out in a secluded protected spot so she isn't harassed by the others.

When Margaret is out in the run, is she withdrawn and inactive? What is her body language? Is her tail held low and flat and is she in a corner or facing a wall, turned away from the flock?

There are two reasons a hen will hang out in a nest box. One is that she feels an egg coming down the chute and is trying to get it out.

The other is that she feels sick and weak and wants to hang out in a secluded protected spot so she isn't harassed by the others.

When Margaret is out in the run, is she withdrawn and inactive? What is her body language? Is her tail held low and flat and is she in a corner or facing a wall, turned away from the flock?
I definitely donā€™t think itā€™s an egg coming so probably wants to be away from flock. Her body language changes. She is sometimes with flock roaming and pecking at grass but sometimes she also stays at a bit of a distance. She usually will go into this nest around 3:30pm.. about an hour before bedtime for others. She doesnā€™t go into it at all during the day. Her tail is still down (ish) and she is still a bit off... here they are currently at my front door. She is with them.

Attachments

• E3A4E583-B4C3-4FB4-9BCD-5A88C0E111EA.jpeg
    E3A4E583-B4C3-4FB4-9BCD-5A88C0E111EA.jpeg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom