Egg Peritonitis or Ovary?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rockin' Reds, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    I rescued some battery hens (approximately 18 months old) in January. I noted what I initially thought was a glob of poo stuck to her vent. On closer inspection I realized this was not poop. She was prolapsing slightly and this was attached (see pics). I soaked her for about 15 to 20 minutes but it was apparent this was not going to soak off. I gently pulled it away from the prolapsed tissue. There was no bleeding. Her prolapse resolved and she didn't act like I had hurt her at all. Her abdomen is swollen and I also note that the tips of her comb appear slightly purplish in color, which tells me perhaps peritonitis; however, there were what appear to be vascular tissues as well. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    Outside top

[​IMG]
    Outside bottom

[​IMG]
    Outside bottom

[​IMG]
    Close up outside bottom

[​IMG]
    Cut open

[​IMG]
    Close up open

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. soldonold

soldonold Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Burlington, Kansas
    Do a search on internal layers in this forum. Apparently, an egg can get misdirected into the abdomen instead of the correct direction and has layers of tissue put on it and eventually finds its way out. There are pictures in some of these posts similar to these. Seems to be a problem that battery hens are prone to. Hope she recovers and can enjoy some more time in her new home.

3. Rockin' Reds

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Well, I attempted to drain her abdomen to no avail. The fluid was very thick and would not drain through the needle (18 gauge). It was also yellow. I started her on Baytril and have her in a darkened area in the house. I'm sure it's egg yolk peritonitis now. Anyone have any additional thoughts or recommendations?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  4. Rockin' Reds

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Thanks for the reply and information! I have actually dealt with an internal layer before and I was kinda hoping this wasn't the same thing, but I'm afraid it is. Bless her sweet heart...after all she has been through in her life she sure didn't need this too. My last hen lived for 2 years with it. Every time she had symptoms I drained her abdomen and gave Baytril and she did well. But the heart failure was eventually more than she could handle. I just hate this.

5. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Not fun pictures to look at but people should see the reality. By the way thanks for being another battery caged hen rescuer. I do the same twice a year. Poor buggers. Yes I have came across this many times over the years. I have witnessed so much prolapse because of those caged egg farms. I personally hate the thought. I find that when the birds prolapse as often as the caged birds do there are always the mites, ticks,fleas,etc around the battery houses. Been there witnessed it. A thoughtless process !
    I am no vet or doctor but I have done many autopsies in my time to learn more about the birds and their illnesses. I almost think it is parasitic issues with prolapse, being pecked, getting dirty, stepped on, etc.I will do some reading in my little chicken journal here and try to remember the disease you mentioned and see what results I find.I do have a Community College here in a town called Truro that deal with chickens as well as agricultural stuff. Nova Scotia Agricultural College.

It has always been hit and miss with me when I peeled off the goop or scab like lesions from their prolapse. I tried everything I could think of to save them. I won most of the time but it also took a very long time for the bird to lay eggs again if they layed eggs at all. Good point to bring up... Steve, BunkyB

6. Rockin' Reds

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado

Well, the Baytril is already seeming to help. Her comb is back to being red. I checked thoroughly for ticks, mites, and lice....none. I will check her in the morning but for tonight she seems content and well. I honestly don't care if she ever lays again. My goal is for her to be happy and healthy for as long as she can. Thanks for the response, and kudos to you for being a savior to the animals in need!! Let me know if you come up with anything new or vital. Thanks again!!!

7. soldonold

soldonold Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Burlington, Kansas
    I'm glad she is feeling better. Hopefully, you can get rid of the infection, and she can enjoy her remaining time on earth in a wonderful new environment. God bless you for caring!!

8. Rockin' Reds

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Thank you for your kind words. She is doing well this morning and is getting a bit restless, so I think I will let her out in the yard for a bit. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by