Egg Pipped/Cracked in middle.....

The chick was in distress what with all the crying. Is she quiet now?
She seems to breathing more normal now like before, her peeps are back to normal, she seems tired and is resting. She does the little chew motion occasionally. We turned the light off so that hopefully she will rest and continue to absorb everything. She also stopped struggling so bad, like she is more comfortable now.

Uggghhh oh no. :( I'm just beside myself here. We dont see the feet at all either. I will stay up and just keep checking on her and wait it out. Any idea how long this part takes? For her to absorb the blood? We kept going because she was like shrink wrapped and dry, inside more dry shrink wrapping. Like a double membrane. Is that normal? 2 membranes? I haven't read anything about that anywhere.
Yes there's two membranes. The inner (which is clear) and the outer, which is a papery white. Probably 24 hours. That is a lot of blood left. Shrink-wrapping is when they membrane turns a yellow brown, and gets goopy. This glues the chick inside. Yours doesn't look shrink-wrapped at all to me.
Don't be surprised if this one doesn't make it. I really hope it does, but I think it was assisted too early, too fast, and too much.
It takes time to learn. It's not your fault. When I first started hatching I assisted almost all of them, and did it too early. Several died from it. That was years ago now, and many hatches later, I have learned so much, through research and experience. Don't give up on incubating no matter what. There's a major learning curve. It just takes time.
So don't beat yourself up too much. It's ok. This has happened to all of us.

Yes there's two membranes. The inner (which is clear) and the outer, which is a papery white. Probably 24 hours. That is a lot of blood left. Shrink-wrapping is when they membrane turns a yellow brown, and gets goopy. This glues the chick inside. Yours doesn't look shrink-wrapped at all to me.
Don't be surprised if this one doesn't make it. I really hope it does, but I think it was assisted too early, too fast, and too much.
It takes time to learn. It's not your fault. When I first started hatching I assisted almost all of them, and did it too early. Several died from it. That was years ago now, and many hatches later, I have learned so much, through research and experience. Don't give up on incubating no matter what. There's a major learning curve. It just takes time.
So don't beat yourself up too much. It's ok. This has happened to all of us.
Oh no..... oh man. I'm speechless. I wish we had known. Learning curve for sure, definitely didn't want this to happen. I'm praying for the best possible outcome. These eggs were gifted to me from 2 very sweet ladies locally, as my favorite EE had passed away. I will try to remain positive and hope this tiny baby doesn't suffer from our lack of knowledge. Thank you for trying to help us out, and your kind words. Its greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture I just took of the baby. We are going to try and rest for 2 hours and then peek in on it again thru the window. The air sac was at the bottom of the egg in this picture, as if in a breech position. Her head is at the opposite end.

Attachments

• 20200811_225745.jpg
    20200811_225745.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 35
Good Morning!! It's a beautiful day!! We woke up to not one, but two beautiful babies today! The assisted chick is still attached and absorbing the umbilical cord, but it made it!! I quickly removed the damp paper towel so it can dry. It's the honey colored one, and she has a little yellow friend, and we have another egg with a pip. :)

Attachments

• 20200812_073828.jpg
    20200812_073828.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200812_074025.jpg
    20200812_074025.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 32
Good Morning!! It's a beautiful day!! We woke up to not one, but two beautiful babies today! The assisted chick is still attached and absorbing the umbilical cord, but it made it!! I quickly removed the damp paper towel so it can dry. It's the honey colored one, and she has a little yellow friend, and we have another egg with a pip. :)
Yay!!! I'm so glad. I think she'll make it. She looks good and alert. Leave that cord attached, there's still blood going through it. Don't let her drag the shell around too much though. If you have to put her and the shell/membrane in a paper towel lined bowl that she can't escape from, and leave her in that in the incubator. Congrats again! They're adorable!

Wonderful! I am soooo glad that baby made it. Reading the last three posts before the good news made me feel horrid because I encouraged you to assist.

Hope everything continues to go well! How many more eggs are there?
Hey y'all did the best you could for us with advice, in the situation as it was. We are newbies and learning. I feel very blessed, and know now what not to do, and what to do should we ever need to again. We have 14 more eggs to go! What an exciting journey this is. :)

Oh no..... oh man. I'm speechless. I wish we had known. Learning curve for sure, definitely didn't want this to happen. I'm praying for the best possible outcome. These eggs were gifted to me from 2 very sweet ladies locally, as my favorite EE had passed away. I will try to remain positive and hope this tiny baby doesn't suffer from our lack of knowledge. Thank you for trying to help us out, and your kind words. Its greatly appreciated.
It's ok :hugs
Your prayers definitely worked, because she looks wonderful today. I think more babies are going to hatch today too. I'm very sorry about your EE.

Back
Top Bottom