Egg Price Profiteering Where You Live Due To Coronovirus?

Pics
I have 6 Buffs, 2 Splash Ameraucanas, all turning 1yr old next wk. Also have a 7yr old Ameraucana who came to retire here. She came out of retirement 6wks ago. Started laying large blue eggs for me, 4-5 eggs a wk. I have 5 clients that buy eggs from me @ $3 a doz. I also use eggs as tips for mom's hairdresser and care givers. The eggs at this point pay for feed.😊 When I have extra they go to vets office, family, & friends, anyone who needs them.
I have next door neighbors (young mid 20's) that got chickens a few months b4 us. 1yr into it they down sized to 4 RI Reds. I hadn't seen the hens in a while. Asked him last wknd if they still had their chickens. Sheepishly he admitted yrs but they stay in the coop now. Said they don't eat many eggs and keep forgetting to collect them. 😒 I'm sure they know people at church that could use the eggs. Makes me irritated!

Wow, that's a sad story, having to throw eggs in a burn pile. 😭
Such a shame. Is there a food pantry or shelter near you? I bet if you call the Salvation Army they'd send someone out to get them. I'm sure they would use them in their soup kitchen and women's shelters.

I wrote an op-ed for the local paper and posted it on my blog - all about this issue of both egg prices and where eggs come from

https://eclecticmusings.blog/2020/03/27/of-eggs-and-egg-spences/

Nice write up. Just want to mention that living in northern Minnesota, I have about 5 months of snow covered lawn outside. This past winter, I grew barley fodder all winter long (in the house) and was able to give my small backyard flock of 10 chickens fresh greens everyday. I think they appreciated the greens. They ate everything from the tip of the blade down to the root mat of the seeds. It was the only fresh greens I could give them during winter.

Anyway, I wrote an article on my setup at My $10 Inexpensive DIY Fodder Tower with Dollar Tree Dish Bins. Growing fresh barley fodder this winter really worked out great for me with my 10 chickens. Now I'm mowing grass, so I won't use the fodder tower again until this coming fall when the grass is no longer growing. I only recommend feeding fodder as a supplement to the main diet of commercial balanced layer feed, but obviously you can certainly cut down on feed costs by using fodder and/or other free foods like grass clippings. Like you, I also give my chickens our kitchen scraps and they love it.

I have 6 Buffs, 2 Splash Ameraucanas, all turning 1yr old next wk. Also have a 7yr old Ameraucana who came to retire here. She came out of retirement 6wks ago. Started laying large blue eggs for me, 4-5 eggs a wk. I have 5 clients that buy eggs from me @ $3 a doz. I also use eggs as tips for mom's hairdresser and care givers. The eggs at this point pay for feed.😊 When I have extra they go to vets office, family, & friends, anyone who needs them.
I have next door neighbors (young mid 20's) that got chickens a few months b4 us. 1yr into it they down sized to 4 RI Reds. I hadn't seen the hens in a while. Asked him last wknd if they still had their chickens. Sheepishly he admitted yrs but they stay in the coop now. Said they don't eat many eggs and keep forgetting to collect them. 😒 I'm sure they know people at church that could use the eggs. Makes me irritated!

Sounds like your young neighbors don't really care much for raising chickens anymore. That's OK. Not everyone is meant to care for small animals. Maybe you could offer to take those chickens off their hands if they don't really want them anymore. You would get some prime chickens laying eggs and your neighbors would be done with caring for animals they don't want anymore. It might be a win-win for both of you.

This past winter, I grew barley fodder all winter long (in the house) and was able to give my small backyard flock of 10 chickens fresh greens everyday. I think they appreciated the greens. They ate everything from the tip of the blade down to the root mat of the seeds. It was the only fresh greens I could give them during winter.

Anyway, I wrote an article on my setup at My $10 Inexpensive DIY Fodder Tower with Dollar Tree Dish Bins. Growing fresh barley fodder this winter really worked out great for me with my 10 chickens. Now I'm mowing grass, so I won't use the fodder tower again until this coming fall when the grass is no longer growing. I only recommend feeding fodder as a supplement to the main diet of commercial balanced layer feed, but obviously you can certainly cut down on feed costs by using fodder and/or other free foods like grass clippings. Like you, I also give my chickens our kitchen scraps and they love it.

I don't think I have enough space to do that for almost 90 chickens, but it certainly looks like a wonderful idea!

I'm able to get "old" produce from our local grocery store once/week. The vast majority of it is very much enjoyed by my girls and roos.

I don't think I have enough space to do that for almost 90 chickens, but it certainly looks like a wonderful idea!

I'm able to get "old" produce from our local grocery store once/week. The vast majority of it is very much enjoyed by my girls and roos.

The method I use for growing fodder works great for my small backyard flock of 10 chickens. I know a number of people with many more birds in their flock and they just don't have any/much interest in growing fodder, and certainly not in the small scale I do in Dollar Tree dish bins. That's OK. We all have to find out what works for us and our flocks.

Back
Top Bottom