Egg Price Profiteering Where You Live Due To Coronovirus?

Pics

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
Where I live, the "normal" "pre-Coronavirus" price for a dozen white eggs at the big box stores was less than $1.00. I never decided to have a small backyard flock to save money on eggs. Things have really changed around here in many ways, but also with respect to egg availability at our stores (which I don't understand). Our local stores ran out of eggs, doubled the price per dozen, and limit one dozen per purchase so everyone has a better chance to get some eggs.

Anyway, Dear Wife has been previously selling our excess brown eggs to friends of the family for $2.00 per dozen, which was a good deal for me (they were excess eggs for us), but also for our friends as the pre-Coronavirus price of brown eggs was about $2.50 - $6.00 per dozen, depending on the label. Now, we still sell the eggs for $2.00 per dozen but only to our friends that were buying before this Coronavirus situation. With only 10 hens, it's not like we can supply too many families with eggs.

Somebody explain to me how in the world the price of eggs can double in the big box stores in the last couple of weeks when I have yet to hear of any chicken die off affecting availability? Are these eggs being stock piled somewhere to create an artificial shortage and drive prices up? The price of my grains and feed has not changed, so it costs me the same to feed my flock. OK, I don't need the $2.00 per dozen for my financial well being, but it helps pay for the chicken feed and my little "hobby" does not cost anything out of pocket.

I have decided not to raise my egg prices due to the Coronavirus situation, but I am sure I could get more for my eggs now that the big box store shelves are empty. Just wondering what other people with small flocks and selling eggs are doing in these times, if you are seeing egg shortages at your local big box stores, and if you have raised your egg prices in response. I'm not trying to pass judgement on anyone, and understand the price of eggs varies from region to region, but it would be interesting to hear from others who sell their eggs to family and friends how they are working through these times. Thanks for any feedback.

The prices have gone way up around here too, IF you can find any at all. There was actually an article on my local news about the shortage. I'm still giving most of mine away to a veterans organization, and to my neighbors who can't find them. If the neighbors pay me, that's great, but if not, I'm not worried about it. I just want to help out. :)

We've had the same issue around here. What you could buy for $2 or less a dozen, is now at $4.50. I've always sold my eggs for $3.00 a dozen and will continue to do so. If feed prices go up then I will reassess, of course, but I've got no interest in price gouging just because I can.

I, like you, do not understand the price increase on eggs specifically. As far as I know, they are not dying from covid :confused:

I'm still giving most of mine away to a veterans organization, and to my neighbors who can't find them. If the neighbors pay me, that's great, but if not, I'm not worried about it. I just want to help out. :)

That's great to give to the vets organization, and other charities if you can. When I first started getting excess eggs, I gave some away to friends and family. Unfortunately, sometimes when you give something away, it's just not appreciated. So Dear Wife started selling the eggs for $2.00 per dozen to her friends and they are much more appreciative of our fresh backyard eggs.

:lau I have been stocking up on Spam since the grocery aisles are getting pretty thin on many products. Spam will probably last a good 15-20 years on the shelf.
My Dad who was a WWII veteran taught me what a fine meal Spam was, especially fried crisp with a fried egg and Mayo on white bread. And add a fresh Cherokee Purple tomato slice and I am in Heaven.

I don't charge for my eggs, I just give them to my neighbors. Everyone around us is elderly and they put up with upwards of 30 chickens on our property at times (although we've narrowed it to 17 as of recently. I gave some hens away to families to help with egg shortages and lower my feed cost). However... a carton of 1 dozen brown free range eggs here is around $12 and if you can find them now they're closer to $18 at the moment. I've had neighbors offer me money for our eggs but I've lived in this house 20 years and they've been here the whole time watching me grow up (dh and I live in my childhood home) and i just can't justify taking any money from them. On occasion they'll force my 9 year old to at least take $5 for the ice cream truck that drives around so he and his brothers and sister can get a popsicle... I've told him that's fine as long as it's not everytime and it's no more than $5.

I sell mine for $4/dozen, the same as before. A client told me this morning that I'm under charging. I have no intention to raise prices. Every area is different, but if people want to pay big box store prices for eggs from true free range, happy hens, then they have no clue why. I educate them on why the eggs they buy in the store are inferior.

I'd been selling my eggs for $4, and still do but now I give away a lot. The pandemic's actually taken away much of my business.

Interesting, the pandemic has increased my egg "business" and we have more demand for eggs than my girls can supply.

:lau Dear Wife asked me if I could get our chickens to lay 2 eggs per day because so many of her friends want our eggs now due to the pandemic! She is limiting only a dozen eggs per customer because with only 10 chickens, we just don't have too many to sell.

Meanwhile I can't even get my mother-in-law to come over and take a dozen or two off our hands. Hubby has suggested we could leave them on the porch for her to pick up, if that makes her feel safer, but so far she hasn't said anything on that.

I gave my sister a dozen eggs a few months ago. After a few weeks, I asked her if she liked them. Well, she said, they had not used any yet even after 2-3 weeks. So that was the last time I made any effort on giving her "free" eggs. Dear Wife has friends that are willing to pay $2.00 per dozen for the eggs and are very thankful of the fresh eggs. I don't know what I'm trying to say, other than sometimes people do not appreciate something they get for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom