Egg Price Profiteering Where You Live Due To Coronovirus?

People in our area are hoarding everything but Spam. I would hoard Spam before toilet paper especially now that the trees are leafing out.

:lau I have been stocking up on Spam since the grocery aisles are getting pretty thin on many products. Spam will probably last a good 15-20 years on the shelf.

I've been selling for 2.50 a dozen with a clean carton exchange, 3 without. But since the Covid 19 came here I no longer do a carton exchange. I'm absorbing the cost. Around .33¢. to the customers who always had a clean carton to exchange. I've got enough new cartons for more than a year.

I had not consider the issue of reusing cartons. From what I understand, the Coronavirus does not live very long on packaging. There was a news story last night that said just leave the delivered packages in your garage for 24 hours and that should ensure no virus transmission would be possible. I would think that a used egg carton, left for days, weeks, or longer would have no chance of transferring the virus. Better that than a new egg carton that somebody recently coughed on in the store.

I'd been selling my eggs for $4, and still do but now I give away a lot. The pandemic's actually taken away much of my business.

Interesting, the pandemic has increased my egg "business" and we have more demand for eggs than my girls can supply.

:lau Dear Wife asked me if I could get our chickens to lay 2 eggs per day because so many of her friends want our eggs now due to the pandemic! She is limiting only a dozen eggs per customer because with only 10 chickens, we just don't have too many to sell.

I would think that a used egg carton, left for days, weeks, or longer would have no chance of transferring the virus. Better that than a new egg carton that somebody recently coughed on in the store.
Especially the cartons with holes in the lid. 20200304_183320_resized_kindlephoto-13440121.jpg . GC

Since a direct relation between high vitamin D levels and Coronovirus resistance was established ( in Italy most of the deceased had vitamin D levels very low,apart of other problems naturally) and being eggs one of the most important natural ( and cheapest) sources of vitamin D I don´t know if your market is being inflated...Here in Portugal the price stays the same ...we have eggs and lots of sun, you in the US have salmon and cod fish liver oil .And Yes "home" eggs taste better and are better! :)

Since a direct relation between high vitamin D levels and Coronovirus resistance was established ( in Italy most of the deceased had vitamin D levels very low,apart of other problems naturally) and being eggs one of the most important natural ( and cheapest) sources of vitamin D I don´t know if your market is being inflated...Here in Portugal the price stays the same ...we have eggs and lots of sun, you in the US have salmon and cod fish liver oil .And Yes "home" eggs taste better and are better! :)
I didn't know that about low levels of vitamin D.
I eat up to a dozen eggs weekly and take a vitamin D pill with 125 mcg (5000 IU) 6 days a week.
Thank you. 🙂 GC

:lau I have been stocking up on Spam since the grocery aisles are getting pretty thin on many products. Spam will probably last a good 15-20 years on the shelf.
My Dad who was a WWII veteran taught me what a fine meal Spam was, especially fried crisp with a fried egg and Mayo on white bread. And add a fresh Cherokee Purple tomato slice and I am in Heaven.

Well, where are all the eggs going? We have a young lady that helps us with barn chores. She’s on our occasional egg list. The other day we offered her a cartoon and she said she had no need. Her stepfather bought five flats of them. To top it off she says they barely use a dozen a month!

I have no idea where all the eggs are going. Maybe they are being horded like toilet paper and paper towels. I don't know of anyone who needs to buy five flats of eggs at a time for personal use. A dozen eggs would last me a couple of weeks before I had a backyard flock. Now I have fresh eggs almost every day and Dear Wife and I go through maybe a dozen or more every week.

Back
Top Bottom