Egg prices and DH's oppinion UHG

$2.00 is a very fair price. Not only do you have to consider the price of feed but building a good coop is not cheap either!

I have been letting my kids sale the eggs for $1.50 a dozen. There is a lady at work that sells them for $1.00 a dozen. I let the kids keep the $1.00, and I keep the $.50. I am starting to realize that I will not be able to buy the feed at that price. But, I also eat a lot of these eggs, thay are excellent.

feather the thing is your hubby has to compare like items. The $1.15/dozen eggs in our ares(really more like $1.69) are white "factory farm" eggs. If he looks at the price of "cage-free" or "free-range" eggs at Wal-Mart or Kroger the price is more like $4.00 to $4.50/dozen. As the old saying goes....you can't compare apples to oranges.

Larry

Quote:
I agree. Out of curiosity the other day I looked at the "free range" "organic" "magical" eggs and was floored to see, I swear, some price tags over 5 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have people making offers for eggs from chickens who i don't even have yet. But I also balance it too. If someone WANTS to pay that much fine with me, but I also try to have some that I give away to a momma that might need them or a granny who cannot get to the store. Perhaps the best solution would be to sell to co-workers at a "friends and family" price and to others who will pay it a higher rate?

The lowest price that I sell my eggs for is $3.50 per doz., only my original (2) customers get that price point, the rest pay $4.50. I live in a Yuppie Urban area and can easily get this. These are extra large to jumbo sizes.

For the small/med/odd shaped I either eat them myself, or use them to try and help others. I giveaway at least 2 doz. per week for folks who are having
hard times or to my elderly neighbors. I call these free dozens "my Tin Roof eggs" because they are always "on the house."
smile.png

Last edited:
They are your eggs, so you should charge what you want. I charge 3$ a dozen. Some people laughed when I told them that...old farm ladies that just couldn't believe it. But I'm laughing last! Lots of people want to buy them at that price, several people have commented that that seems cheap. One lady gave me a dollar extra just because they were so good. Organic free range are about that price in the store.

BUT I would be careful about charging various charges depending on what people will pay. You need to have a price, and give away the others to people who need them. If I paid 3$ and then talked to my friend who was a friend of yours and found out she was paying 2$ and someone else 2.50 I would feel taken advantage of and ticked off.

Your eggs are worth AT LEAST 2$. I would tell my husband to a) price organic free range eggs and then tell him to bug off. It's none of his dang business.

around here wallyworld is $1.69, but the local quick trip (gas station, convince store) is $.99, but organic is $5, free range $3.75, and local farmers $1.50 to $3.00 depending. me $1.75, where is he getting the $1.15 is it a special? for spring.

I've found if they want them they pay, don't back down,my husband is the other way thinks I don't charge enough for anything I sell. eggs,birds even feed

Quote:
You are a good person for helping those less fortunate. I only have three hens that lay consistently, but just today my grandmother was lamenting on how many eggs she has to buy, and now I am saving my 2-3 a day to give her on Saturday.

Anyone willing to help someone out when they are truly in need should get a pat on the back!

To the OP, tell your husband that if the co-worker thinks the store bought eggs are a better deal, have at it because farm fresh eggs in my area are quite expensive. If the co-worker cannot feed her family and is having hard times, maybe give her a discount or even free eggs but let her know through him that the cost will be 2.00 next time.

BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:
You are a good person for helping those less fortunate. I only have three hens that lay consistently, but just today my grandmother was lamenting on how many eggs she has to buy, and now I am saving my 2-3 a day to give her on Saturday.

Anyone willing to help someone out when they are truly in need should get a pat on the back!

To the OP, tell your husband that if the co-worker thinks the store bought eggs are a better deal, have at it because farm fresh eggs in my area are quite expensive. If the co-worker cannot feed her family and is having hard times, maybe give her a discount or even free eggs but let her know through him that the cost will be 2.00 next time.

thumbsup.gif
, I do the same, my DD's drum teacher gets a 'free' doz every week he's a collage student, and the collage kids that work at the music store too​

Invite him to care for only the chickens (and eggs) that will produce the coworkers eggs and see if he's still willing to sell them for that price.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom