1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinybarnfarm, Nov 17, 2011.

1. tinybarnfarm

tinybarnfarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    I posted a little while ago with what everybody determined was a calcium deficiency problem. I have added oyster shells (free choise) but found this waiting for me today.
    Is this still calcium related or just something freaky that happens ever so often? The first picture is what I found today, Second picture was from a week or so ago. Thanks for any input! Gene
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    These must be young hens. Continue to give calcium. And give them time. It'll balance out in time.

3. tinybarnfarm

Sep 14, 2011
    Quote:I just didn't know if it was something to be worried about because all 5 hens I have started out strong with good looking(but kinda small) eggs. Then a few months later this happens. Thanks for the info, I will give them time. Wish I knew what hen was laying these.

4. scooby8863

scooby8863 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    I have a bantam hen that I have had for 4 years now and every egg that she has laid is like this, either really thin shell or no shell at all, just the membrane. She gets oyster shell just like the others but hasn't seem to change at all. [​IMG]

5. montanaSarah

montanaSarah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    i had the same issue for a bit. i added more calcium and gave them less table scraps and they bounced back within a couple of days. i'll still get one from time to time, but not like i was.

6. tinybarnfarm

Sep 14, 2011
    Quote:I will try backing off on the table scraps and see if that helps. They don't get many scraps currently but I will cut them off completely and see what happens. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by