Egg problems

Courtney Y

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2017
I have the rir hens. Two in one coop with a rooster one in another with a rooster. The two are Dixie and Trixie. As far as I know trixie has only laid one egg since I got them about two weeks ago. Dixie lays daily but they eat their own eggs. I have tried fake eggs and the mustard trick. They get laying mash a five way feed and oyster shell and sometimes the dried meal worms.

My other coop is Roxy. She doesn't eat her eggs but stopped laying daily. When she does lay it will be a good one first thing in the morning then later in the afternoon one will look good but will have a soft soot that when you pick it up it pops. She gets the same thing as Dixie and Trixie. Any idea's or suggestions please?

I also forgot to mention that when Dixie lays her eggs feel sticky. I have not had that with Roxy.

I am curious about this as well. I have a barred rock who has been laying soft egg-shelled eggs since coming out of molt...sometimes no shell at all. She's also quite thin. She eats well and is a real sweetheart. She has always been the one who has been picked on since they were pullets, except if I'm thinning my kale...watch out! she takes no prisoners!

I have the rir hens. Two in one coop with a rooster one in another with a rooster. The two are Dixie and Trixie. As far as I know trixie has only laid one egg since I got them about two weeks ago. Dixie lays daily but they eat their own eggs. I have tried fake eggs and the mustard trick. They get laying mash a five way feed and oyster shell and sometimes the dried meal worms.

My other coop is Roxy. She doesn't eat her eggs but stopped laying daily. When she does lay it will be a good one first thing in the morning then later in the afternoon one will look good but will have a soft soot that when you pick it up it pops. She gets the same thing as Dixie and Trixie. Any idea's or suggestions please?
What is "a five way feed"?
Link to exact product would help.
How big are the coops?
Are the roosters new to them?
I'm guessing stress from being moved, new diet, maybe over breeding.

It comes in a plain brown bag from my feed store. It has corn sun flower seeds I think barely and a few other things. I was told it's better than a regular scratch feed. Both coops are big enough for 8 birds and a small 20 foot run for both. Roxy and Charlie have been with me since March of this year and on this food since then. Dixie and trixie were given to me because of egg eating. They use to lay soft eggs when they first came here. I got my other rooster Sam a few days after them and haven't had any problems with him being new since they were only here a few days before.

Roxy was laying daily until it got hot here. When we have a few cool days she's back to daily laying. I'm assuming the heat is bothering her?

They are all between 1-1 1/2 years old and as far as I know they've never bred. I've never had chicks or anything. None of the hens seem to be broody either

Knowing the protein and calcium percentage in the feed is important,
that info should be on a label on the bag somewhere.

So what the feed store is describing as a scratch feed you're providing as their primary feed?? A good layer feed I'd think would fix some of you're issues. As the scratch may not be providing adequate nutrition.

So what the feed store is describing as a scratch feed you're providing as their primary feed?? A good layer feed I'd think would fix some of you're issues. As the scratch may not be providing adequate nutrition.
They're also getting layer mash...scroll back a few posts.

Back
Top Bottom