Egg production decline

Dolivo

Chirping
Mar 9, 2016
My 20 hens turned one year old in April. I've gone from getting about 15-18 eggs per day to 12-14. Is this typical production decline for hens over a year old? Food, water is all the same. Changes in their environment are 3o young chickens. Hatched in February and added to flock without incident in April. A few of the young ones have just started to lay. Just confused as to why the older hens aren't laying as many. Decline has been the last month or so.

Generally production declines as summer progresses in all but the youngest birds and some high production breeds, usually due to warmer temperatures, but they may just be getting worn out by this time of year as egg laying is taxing and requires a lot of energy and calories.

Spring is the breeding season for chickens as well, even though breeding has manipulated them to lay year round they still somewhat follow a seasonal pattern.

My 20 hens turned one year old in April. I've gone from getting about 15-18 eggs per day to 12-14. Is this typical production decline for hens over a year old? Food, water is all the same. Changes in their environment are 3o young chickens. Hatched in February and added to flock without incident in April. A few of the young ones have just started to lay. Just confused as to why the older hens aren't laying as many. Decline has been the last month or so.

I never cease to be amazed by chicken keepers denouncing commercial chicken keepers for culling non producing hens but then wondering why their own hens egg production slows down as the hens age. Also keep in mind that your hens are fast approaching their first adult molt. The egg production that you mentioned will not pay for your hens' upkeep, but it is not out of line either.

Dear Dolivo,

For 20 hens in the Summer heat, I would be happy with a girl turning out an egg every other day and a matron one every three days. 14 eggs for 20 hens in a heat wave is pretty good in my book. The first couple of years, even in the blazing heat, some hens will lay 9 days out of 10 and only a few every day for a long time. Lots of water, shady places, room to move around and alternative nesting spots ... all these things will help.

The variety makes a big difference, too. What varieties are you keeping? If it is a variety known for steady egg laying, then my prediction is that after a bit production will pick back up again, no worries, even with the heat, provided that there is space, shade, and so on. 15 to 18 down to 12 to 14 is such a small drop that I would not give it a thought. It could just be a pause after the first rush of eggs.

What about other stressing factors besides heat? Has a bully started disrupting the harmony of the flock? Has a dog been around barking at them? Any change in diet. Could be a hundred things. It might just be the new additions getting old enough to be treated as adults, resulting in some pecking order shifting. You will be getting a ton of eggs in no time, with the new girls coming on. It is all good.

I forgot to mention as an environmental change that 2 of the new additions are roosters. They are still young, about 18 weeks I think, and are starting to try to do the guy thing but I haven't noticed any major disruptive behavior yet. The older hens put them in their place if they get too rambunctious.
I didn't realize the heat would make production decline. I assumed that with the long daylight hours, production would be great during summer.
I'm not really worried about it, I know I will be swimming in eggs when all the young ones are laying in a month or so. Just trying to learn. :)

Oh also, my original 20 are Amber whites, Rhode island reds, new Hampshire reds, silver laced wynadottes, black austrolopes, Easter eggers and one blue andulusion (sp?)

OK sorry. It must be weather/climate like the majority of people said. Has it been humid, muggy, or rainy? Sure has been down here. :he nothing but rain.

No, been hot and mostly dry up here in northern Montana. Few thunderstorms with rain. I'm thinking it's probably a combination of the hot weather and them getting older. :). They've been great layers for the past year. I'm ok with them slowing down a bit. The young ones can take up the slack! :)

Back
Top Bottom