Egg questions

RebelEgger

Free Ranging
May 10, 2020
Chester, Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
My hens have not reached egg laying age yet, they are only 12 weeks but I had some questions about storing their eggs before it starts.
We do have a rooster, so I know we will have fertilized eggs.
Do I store fertilized eggs for eating differently than if they were not fertilized? Many of our chicken owning friends store their eggs on the counter, we were planning on doing this but does having fertilized eggs change that? Should they be kept in the fridge instead?
Also, I have seen some people write the date on their eggs. Since they are so pourus won’t the ink from a marker absorb into the egg?
Sorry if these are stupid questions I’m a learning newb.

Attachments

• AFC714B8-3109-4829-9C1E-C6239936B60E.jpeg
    AFC714B8-3109-4829-9C1E-C6239936B60E.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 7
Probably not much help, but we don't store eggs on the counter. If we went through them fast enough we might, but even with only 5 chickens and just the 2 of us, we sometimes have up to 6 dozen in the fridge. We give away lots of eggs to friends and family. Instead of writing on the eggs, I put the date I started putting in eggs on the carton.

Last edited:
They last a lot longer in the fridge than at room temperature, so it all depends on how fast you go through them. If they aren't out for more than a week it should be fine, but it all depends on how warm your house is. Heat makes the whites more liquid so it depends on how you like them too.

Unless it gets really hot inside they won't start to incubate/develop.

I use a pencil to note the date on our eggs.

Back
Top Bottom