Egg Sales: Some interesting experiences to share

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I just started selling my eggs, and come to find out, I'm in a PRIME location to sell them. I had my sign out on Saturday late afternoon, for 20 mins and sold 2.5 doz eggs. I'll be adding more girls real soon. But I had some interesting experineces that might help some of you. Thought I'd pass them on.

One day a lady stops and asks what I feed my chickens. AAhh, Chicken food, I tell her. I had a new bag right by me, (I was working in the garage) so I let her read the lable. "Ruminant meat and bone meal free" Ok, she was happy with that. You don't feed them chicken do you? AAAHhh No, that would be gross. She was satisfied and bought the eggs. As she was leaving she asked "You don't leave the lights on all night do you?" Gee wiz I'm thinking, the third degree for eggs. "No, I say, I do increase the light so they lay in the winter, but not all night" I assure her that these chickens are well cared for, get treats and get to free range when I'm out there. I guess I should be glad that there are people out there looking out for chickens. But WOW! I guess the moral of the story is, "Know what you feed your chickens."

The other experience happened today. My DH's friend called for eggs. Sure, we have a doz. He comes over and was telling us that his wife bought eggs from a friend of hers, They were dirty and had chicken poop all over them. He was totally discussed and refused to eat them. He checked my eggs and said, Those look good. (thank goodness!) I use pine shavings in my boxes and fluff them and remove any poop everyday, but as you know, that still doesn't solve the whole problem. But I clean any problems off the eggs before I sell them. We live in a small island of county in the middle of a kind snooty city, so I'm more careful. But I thought I'd share in case anybody else was getting into eggs sales. Don't wash your eggs if you don't have to, but clean the problems off.

Good luck

I think its great that people are caring how chickens are treated and feed when buying eggs. Thats a caring consumer there!

I recently had a similar experience.
We have a large...probably 4ft x 4 ft sign in the front yard. "Blue,Green,Brown eggs for sale $1.50 doz"
So, this woman comes down the lane...and asks me...if I sell eggs?
hu.gif
I told her I do...and she gets out, and starts asking me all sorts of questions...... Do they free range? ( there were 10 RIR running up, looking for treats
tongue.png
) What do you feed them?( Purina Layeena pellets) Are they Organic?(No, manufactured feeds) Do you give them meat? ( not personally..but they eat bugs, snakes,worms..thats meat, right?)What pesticides do you use around your place?( None) Do you use hormones in your chickens? ( Nope, they are just fat from being over fed, im sure!) At first, I thought...Oh no, im getting BUSTED by some local agency.
barnie.gif
Then she proceeds to tell me that she is seeing a Holistic Dr, and he recommended she buy meats,eggs and such, locally...that are farm raised, and clean of pesticides and hormones. She said she wants 10 dozen a week! AHH! I cant..I explained that I could possibly do 5 a week, for now. I have other regular customers. She then told me, she would buy ALL my eggs...and she has plenty friends that would buy specifically from me...no matter the cost. I still sell to my older customers...she gets whats left, each week. She just calls me on Friday, for a Saturday pickup. No more will I have 21 dozen eggs, in the fridge!
ya.gif

I've noticed a lot of people say they charge $1.50 a dozen.
Is this just to unload the eggs or do you expect a little profit to go back into the chicken coop?

I was considering this aspect for when I get all moved and set up again, but $1.50?
Eggs at wal-mart right now are $1.89 and cartons cost about fifty cents a piece.
Seems to me anything less than $2.50 a dozen a person is cheating himself.

I think I can get 3.00 a dozen from my neighbors. We live in a very wealthy neighborhood and they get to see the chickens daily so why not pay the extra.

Henry

I will keep any dirty or perhaps poopy eggs myself - I dont' think its from lack of cleaning - if I didn't clean the poo would dry and not mark the egg, its from fresh poo - or a little blood.

I bought a few cartons online - 26c a piece including shipping. I don't get THAT many eggs, 6-7 a day - but have managed to AMASS 47 eggs - so I need to unload em!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom