EGG SELLING TIPS

The vast majority of chicken owners do so (treat humanely). “Cruelty-free” and “humanely-treated” just sound like smoke and mirrors to me, if I were a customer, and as I said, I would wonder what else is made up.

Rather than come up with catchphrases, I like the suggestions that you put up photos of your flock in their home setting. It gives people a visual so they can see that these are well cared for animals, rather than just a claim that they are.

I remember someone on here saying they included a small slip of paper with their eggs with photos and stories about their chickens. I thought that was a cute way to help the customer connect to where the eggs come from.

I would just advertise as fresh eggs. Can say farm fresh if a farm. If not just fresh eggs. If feed organic a plus but if not certified can not label as such agreed. If people ask can just answer the question regarding organic status but not include on labeling. Fresh organic is prize possession here but if no other competition probably fresh eggs are enough for most people. A nice sign at your stand advertising fresh eggs would be good. List price openly. Product label is a plus and packaged in a cute way. Like plain cartons and your own label or stamp. Can get those on Amazon. Can wrap carton in jute or cute ribbon. Homemade with thought. Doesn’t have to be anything expensive just attractive. I save and recycle gift tags ribbons etc. that still look new and use on gifts. You could also bake and sell items made from eggs and/or from garden. You can sell canning items. Might think about offering more than one product. Think of catchy name. Name of farm, flock, etc. put a name to your label. Most of all have fun!

One thing that I do at the Farmer's Market is enlarge a wonderful picture of my hens out in the 3 acre field "free-ranging" and enjoying the sunshine and the grass; new customers love to see where their eggs are coming from! Another thing is to keep the egg cartons with eggs in them in a nice cooler with ice packs when the temperature starts to be in the 80's or 90's or more in the summertime. You don't want to chill them too much or that will cause condensation (sweating), thus eliminating the bloom. At home, the eggs are kept in my nice, air-conditioned kitchen on the shelf. For what it's worth, I sell my eggs for $4 a dozen, and my customers love my eggs. I do have medium, small and jumbo size eggs, and I just charge the same for all of them. For a while, I was getting $5 for the jumbo eggs, but felt that was just too much, even though my customers were paying it. I am willing to make a "delivery day" the rest of the year, and try to make a circuit of delivering eggs to customers so I don't have to travel so much. When possible, they like to come to our little farm to pick up their eggs also.

What I think is a cleaver idea (not mine) as part of a marketing strategy. Take pictures of your hens & perhaps the type of egg if you have different colors. Nice closeups, cute photo’s. Then make signs:
My name is
“whatever name “
I’m a
“fill in a personality trait”
And I lay these eggs...
Then on the top of the cartons label them. Personally laid for you by”the chickens name”
Presentation is everything!
Best wishes

What I think is a cleaver idea (not mine) as part of a marketing strategy. Take pictures of your hens & perhaps the type of egg if you have different colors. Nice closeups, cute photo’s. Then make signs:
My name is
“whatever name “
I’m a
“fill in a personality trait”
And I lay these eggs...
Then on the top of the cartons label them. Personally laid for you by”the chickens name”
Presentation is everything!
Best wishes
I like the way you think.
The background in the photo of the chicken may even be more important than the chicken. A nice grass lawn photo with decent landscaping in the background. Or a Chicken scratching in a wooded area for a more free rangey feel.

Back
Top Bottom