Egg shape (what causes this)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matsechler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. matsechler

matsechler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Utah
    So 2 of my chickens are laying eggs, small but still eggs, and I have gotten 1 double yolker and then this egg today. What causes this (the shape)? and guessing its a double also.
    [​IMG]

2. JAZsMom

JAZsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    Damascus, MD
    Yep, it's a double yolker. Don't know the science behind the shapes, but that's what my doubles look like. :)

3. matsechler

Apr 14, 2014
    Utah
    Opened That egg. There are 3 eggs in here do you see the double yolk??[​IMG]

4. JPHJPH

JPHJPH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Seems like I got the doubles more often soon after my girls started laying ... I still get them occasionally but it used to be pretty frequent .. Why you ask? ... Good question :)

5. matsechler

Apr 14, 2014
    Utah
    Well that was the first one I have seen that shape but if you look the are four yolks in there. One is clear

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Wow, that is truly different. do you have a rooster? It looks fertile.

7. pangola209

pangola209 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    I have 4 Rhode Island Red Layers. 1 or 2 of them recently began laying these odd shaped eggs. I avoid selling these eggs as I thought they appeared unusual. Someone suggested they are the result of being multi-yoked. I thought overfeeding may have been the reason. Can chickens be overfed a particular brand/type of feeding? They were reared from chicks with Southern Grain products & I recently switched to Faithway products and I wondered if that maybe the difference. Is switching from one brand to another a good idea? Otherwise they appear healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by