Egg shell color and texture

Jayywhat

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2022
I have three hens all the same breed so they all lay brown eggs. One of them has been laying eggs with calcium bumps on it, but some of the egg shells are white with calcium on them. I’m thinking and hoping this is as simple as holding off on the oyster shells for a few days? I posted a picture of three eggs she has laid. They go from brown to light and lighter. It’s the color of the eggs that is starting to get me worried.
image.jpg

I have three hens all the same breed so they all lay brown eggs. One of them has been laying eggs with calcium bumps on it, but some of the egg shells are white with calcium on them. I’m thinking and hoping this is as simple as holding off on the oyster shells for a few days? I posted a picture of three eggs she has laid. They go from brown to light and lighter. It’s the color of the eggs that is starting to get me worried.View attachment 3064618
Have they been under any recent stress lately? one of my hens had this when she was stressed.

@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

they’re very smart people, hope they can help you and good luck with your chickies!

I have two Bielefelders and each lays a different shade of brown egg. I figured their genetics just lined up differently. They are both 9 months old. The calcium deposits...don't know but better than thin shells? Attached is a picture of my girls' eggs.

Attachments

• Bielefelder eggs.jpg
    Bielefelder eggs.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 4
I have two Bielefelders and each lays a different shade of brown egg. I figured their genetics just lined up differently. They are both 9 months old. The calcium deposits...don't know but better than thin shells? Attached is a picture of my girls' eggs.
It’s true, it is better than thin shells. I could just be paranoid since I lost one hen this past summer and another one this past winter.

My opinion is that calcium warts are not going to sicken and kill your hen while withholding oyster shell could cause a deficiency that could endanger your hen's heart among other important things. It's best not to monkey around with this. It may be a temporary thing and in a few weeks, it will be past.

Back
Top Bottom