Egg shells for calcium

Organic Gal

Songster
Nov 12, 2019
Rising Sun, MD
I have heard several times that pullets can be given crushed egg shells for extra calcium if needed. Is it ok to give them crushed egg shells that were brought in a store rather then their own shells. My pullets(18 weeks) are just starting to lay and I want to make sure they have enough calcium since the very first egg was shelless. The other egg was small but was broken some how but seemed to be pretty normal.

I personally wouldn’t feed them shells from the store. They’re not the greatest quality and I don’t know what they wash them with because I’m sure it’s not just plain water.

Unless you’re buying the fancy organic eggs. I haven’t bought eggs in so long and when I did I bought the cheapo eggs 🤣

But yes, you can give em egg shells for extra calcium and they’ll pick at it as they see fit.

I personally wouldn’t feed them shells from the store. They’re not the greatest quality and I don’t know what they wash them with because I’m sure it’s not just plain water.

Unless you’re buying the fancy organic eggs. I haven’t bought eggs in so long and when I did I bought the cheapo eggs 🤣

But yes, you can give em egg shells for extra calcium and they’ll pick at it as they see fit.
Good point. I do have oyster shells but I think eggs shells would be better. I guess I will wait until they have eggs of their own to crush the shells.

Good point. I do have oyster shells but I think eggs shells would be better. I guess I will wait until they have eggs of their own to crush the shells.

Oyster shells will do for now 😊 . I like using eggshells because “they’re free” in a sense instead of spending more.

Oyster shells are actually "better" as the larger thicker flake stays in their digestive tract longer which means more calcium can get absorbed.

Oyster shells are actually "better" as the larger thicker flake stays in their digestive tract longer which means more calcium can get absorbed.

Even though I’ve owned chickens for 2 years going on 3 I’ve never given mine oyster shells. Is that a requirement or more as an extra recommendation for healthier/stronger shells? I still consider myself a newbie in some things.

Even though I’ve owned chickens for 2 years going on 3 I’ve never given mine oyster shells. Is that a requirement or more as an extra recommendation for healthier/stronger shells? I still consider myself a newbie in some things.

If your eggs are coming out fine I wouldn't worry about changing things. Was hoping to find a more thread with links that worked, but this one discussed eggshells v calcium a bit: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/question-about-eggs.955166/

That was an excellent article! thanks for sending it. I think I will continue offering oyster shells. I'm not feeding them layer feed until they all start laying. I know oyster shell is in Purina organic layer feed which is what I will be feeding them. Currently they are eating Purina organic start and grow and I am offering the oyster shell on the side.

Back
Top Bottom