Egg size development

aart, or the low tech approach of food coloring around the vents.
Have thought about it....but(t) ...I have 14 hens and there's only 3 colors, plus camera would be much more fun, no?

Some of my older layers only lay, if at all, a few times a week...I wanna know who is for eggs and who is for soup!

I have kept track of my girls egg weights too. My BA has been laying for a month and a half. She started out with eggs that were only 25g and her biggest so far was just the other day and it was 41g. My NH has been laying for 3 weeks and started out with 38g and is now at 43g, my EE has only been laying for 1 week and started out at 36g and is already at 43g after 5 eggs. And finally my BR started yesterday and her first egg was 41g!! I'm thinking that the earlier they start laying the smaller the egg you will get and the later they start the faster they will get to a bigger egg. But this is my first time with chickens and that's only my theory. I'm lucky that all 4 of mine have a different color egg so I can tell them apart easily. I was afraid I'd have 4 of the same color and would never tell them apart. My BA has a 4 day on 1 day off schedule and my NH has a 3 day on 1 day off schedule. I'm not sure if my other 2 will have a pattern yet since they are still new to laying! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that weighs and keeps track of egg size. :)

I'm thinking that the earlier they start laying the smaller the egg you will get and the later they start the faster they will get to a bigger egg. But this is my first time with chickens and that's only my theory.
I have the same theory. I have just two laying, every other day, and their eggs are quite small. But they are just 20-21 weeks, so they have plenty of time for growing left.

Back
Top Bottom