Egg size differences

glikk

Songster
Oct 31, 2022
Wanted to show off the hilariously different sized eggs we have atm.

The smallest egg weighs 41g and the largest is 75g

20230626_122634.jpg

Back row left to right 51g 52g 51g 42g 42g
Front row left to right 68g 42g 42g 75g 52g 41g

Front row far right egg is from a pullet who just started to lay today at 6.6 months old

The other 42g eggs are from her sister of the same clutch who started to lay a week ago at 6.4 months old

The 51/52g eggs are from a pullet where this is her second go at laying eggs she stopped for a bit to molt. She initially started laying at right around 6 months old

The 68g and 75g are either from the same hen or the 75g might be from a different hen who we know lays super large eggs but haven't seen her sitting in the next yet to confirm.

Attachments

• DSCF9595.jpg
    DSCF9595.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 1
Yet another reason that chickens are so cool! I love the variety in sizes that you are getting. It makes recipes interesting though when they call for "x" number of eggs, I always wonder what size they should actually be 🤣 two 45g eggs is a lot different than two 80g eggs. Although anything made with fresh eggs is WAY better than stuff made from store-bought eggs anyway!

Yet another reason that chickens are so cool! I love the variety in sizes that you are getting. It makes recipes interesting though when they call for "x" number of eggs, I always wonder what size they should actually be 🤣 two 45g eggs is a lot different than two 80g eggs. Although anything made with fresh eggs is WAY better than stuff made from store-bought eggs anyway!

Yeah we usually just try to pick the ones of similar size! It's winter where we are and currently have 4 possibly 5 (1 is unconfirmed) hens laying which is kind of a surprise we were expecting them to tkae a break!

Yes! Even when we soft boil eggs we have to change the cooking times depending on the size which is a bit of a guessing game sometimes

Yeah we usually just try to pick the ones of similar size! It's winter where we are and currently have 4 possibly 5 (1 is unconfirmed) hens laying which is kind of a surprise we were expecting them to tkae a break!

Yes! Even when we soft boil eggs we have to change the cooking times depending on the size which is a bit of a guessing game sometimes
I add the biggest eggs to the boiling water first then go down in size. I'm not sure it really makes a difference, but that's my way of trying to compensate for them 🤣

Oof, winter seems a long ways off still for us, we're just getting into our hot and hunid season. Out of 21 hens we were getting 2 to 6 eggs a day all winter. Not great, but not too bad either. Which now I know I have 6 not laying, so technically only 15 layers through the winter and 6 freeloaders helping to keep the layers warn by adding body heat to the coop.

I add the biggest eggs to the boiling water first then go down in size. I'm not sure it really makes a difference, but that's my way of trying to compensate for them 🤣

Oof, winter seems a long ways off still for us, we're just getting into our hot and hunid season. Out of 21 hens we were getting 2 to 6 eggs a day all winter. Not great, but not too bad either. Which now I know I have 6 not laying, so technically only 15 layers through the winter and 6 freeloaders helping to keep the layers warn by adding body heat to the coop.

Thats one way of doing it!

Yeah I mean there are 4 pullets who recently game into POL and we just past the winter solstice so that accounts for some of why we have eggs but not totally haha. We have 9 hens and a recent roo edition so still a small-medium little flock!

Can't imagine 6 free loaders haha, im sure eventually we'll have that too. So far we have 1 who is nearing end of lay we think but time will tell!

Reminds me of when I was a little kid. We had a big wooden egg tray in the kitchen for all the ones collected and had bantams, normal size chickens, ducks and geese. Dad joked that we just needed a few quails and ostriches to bookend things nicely.
I like the way your dad thinks!

Reminds me of when I was a little kid. We had a big wooden egg tray in the kitchen for all the ones collected and had bantams, normal size chickens, ducks and geese. Dad joked that we just needed a few quails and ostriches to bookend things nicely.

Haha that's brilliant. It definitely looks a bit nuts at the moment

Back
Top Bottom