Egg song, but no egg??

NeeleysAVLChicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Leicester, NC
DH and I were outside working on the second coop yesterday and one of my girls (usually very faithful layer) had been sitting on her nesting box for an hour or so, gets up sings a loud, glorious egg song and prances away looking happy for herself. DH and I continue working and when we're finished, I stop by the nesting box to grab the newly laid egg......but there's no egg! Do you guys ever hear your girls sing the egg song when there's no egg?

Yup, just practicing.... or perhaps just trying to fit in with the other girls.

Last edited:
Mine have figured out we coming running when we hear the egg song (to collect eggs) and now do it outside of our backdoor trying to bait us outside to bring treats.
roll.png
I dunno who said chickens are stupid.

Last edited:
I have an older white leghorn doing the exact same thing. It has been going on for about a week and a half now. She will even push another hen (that is actually laying eggs
roll.png
) out of the nest box to get in. And then...nothing...

Every day I cross my fingers that this will be the day she stops freeloading!
smile.png

Last edited:
My older hens have been doing this as well. Maybe they have been in the habit of laying an egg almost every day for the last two years, and are just going through the ritual..
smile.png

Yup, my red sex link did the song every morning at 6:30. I'd go running up there and no egg. I think she knew she'd get let out of the coop by getting me up there
wink.png

I have one that just seems to like the tune of the song and she has taken the last couple of days to strutting around singing the song. I went down a few times yesterday when she did it to find the egg(s) and none! She was just strutting around singing. She is doing it right now too and has been for the last half hour?

Hahaha, ok, so there are loads of disillusioned singing chickens out there! Thanks for the reassurance that TBD (never decided on a name, so she's now "TBD") is in good company!

mine just coo and trill to me.....guess I'm lucky.
smile.png
now I have a rooster that does the "bak bak bak BAAAAKKKK bak bak bak BAAAAKKKK"
I think he is confused.

Back
Top Bottom