egg song & much more.... all chickens involved!!!

Edel

In the Brooder
May 21, 2015
So.... I am waiting for the 1st egg.... chickens are 18 & 19 weeks old... this afternoon my Americana hen was sitting in the nest box.... & the rooster was serenading her..... & all the other hens came running into the coop doing the egg laying song..... I was laughing so hard.... (not in front of them of course). My 1st time having chickens.... Is this what they do? Encourage each other to lay the 1st egg lol?

That 1st egg is so exciting! Don't forget to take a picture of it.

In our mixed flock, some don't sing at all (not even for their own eggs), some squawk while laying their eggs like their gizzards are coming out (that's the funny Speckled Sussex that has a voice straight out of New Jersey), and some sing for everyone. They all have their unique personalities and quirks. That's part of what makes having chickens so much fun.

Congratulations!
yippiechickie.gif

Well.... I don't have an egg yet.....lol!!! but I think they all think they are going to lay one soon! It just amazes me that they hatch from an egg.... never even see an adult chicken & know how to do all this stuff.... Even though I don't have an egg yet I sure have gotten my money worth in laughs.... lol!!!

.....well.... big news!!! I went back out there & there was the 1st egg!!! I will post a pic..... lol!

I also found another egg... the same color... but smaller outside the coop & it was broken.... as far as I know she is the only green egg layer I have. could she have laid both eggs today... I am sure I would have seen it this a.m. if it was already there.

The "egg song" is not really directly related to the laying of eggs - it is just most commonly associated with that event, so that is the name it's become stuck with. It is more reasonable (and understandable as a group activity) if you think of it as a chicken game of "marco-polo".

The "egg song" is not really directly related to the laying of eggs - it is just most commonly associated with that event, so that is the name it's become stuck with. It is more reasonable (and understandable as a group activity) if you think of it as a chicken game of "marco-polo".

LOL, and the "polo" part is appropriate...chicken in Spanish!

Mine did the group egg song today. Even the rooster was in on it. Nobody was even sitting in a nest. They were just running around cackling their little heads off. When mine do lay, they don't announce it at all. I figure my birds are just a bit crazy.

Back
Top Bottom