Egg Squats

ddmiddle7

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
How long after they start doing egg squats can I expect to get eggs? I have two 16 week old girls that started squatting last week and still haven't seen any eggs from them yet.

Two of mine started squatting July 3rd. Got our first egg this week, so just over two weeks for her. Still no egg from the other. I think it depends on the breed. It shouldn't be too much longer!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Up until yesterday I thought one was a BA since that is what Cackle told me but then I saw a picture of a BSL last night and she looks almost identical to that one. Originally I put in for BSLs so I would have good layers but Cackle told me it would be another month before I could get my chicks since I was waiting on the BSLs. I was told that I could substitute them for another kind so I told her I would take BAs instead. Anyways...but the other is a BR and she was the firs one I noticed doing it.

What do you think?

Quote:
Oh, I am already getting breakfast, just not from my five younger girls. I have two 9 month olds that I have had for about three weeks...but the first eggs I got from them just didn't mean the same as my five younger girls I raised from day one.

I didn't really notice my BSL squatting, but she started to get alot friendlier and let us pick her up about 2 weeks before she started laying, which was last Saturday! She was 19 weeks old, exactly! I hope that's what you have, and she starts laying at that age!!
fl.gif
Here is Faith..
80727_p7152709.jpg

For 2 days in a row she laid 2 eggs in 20 hours! So I understand what you mean about being good layers! LOL!
Good Luck!

Depends on many things, including the breed. Our Amberlinks started at 16 weeks, shortly after starting to squat. The Golden Comets are two weeks behind with one just beginning to two days ago. Still have one more AL and 2 GCs to wait for.

Hey! Just joined Backyard Chickens. We have had chickens for about 2months. What are egg squats? We have game? hens and one of them is very lethargic and won't open her eyes. There are no visible injuries and the other 3 seem fine. Any suggestions?
smile.png

The lethargic one is sick. I am no expert on sickness so maybe you could ask in the emergency/illness section. The egg squats are when the hen squats down when you approach and sort of flatten herself with her wings out a bit. That means she's submitting so the roo can do his thing.

My orpingtons did the squat about two weeks before they started to lay.

Back
Top Bottom