Egg storage issues

Honestly not sure, but i think that many of us simply put fertile eggs in an egg carton, pointed end down and elevate one end of the carton (and keep swapping which end is elevated, every 12 hours or so).

CT

I think that you would be better off asking on the duck thread, but i will see if i can find out from a couple of pals

I've never heard any difference for duck eggs. Pointed end down, never let them get too warm, or too cold.

You'll find all kinds of theories on storage length, usually saying 10 days or less is best for development.

But I let my broody duck collect her eggs until she decided to stay on them. I never broght them inside. She had a nest of 15 (one per day) before she committed to sitting. I marked the first 7, in case I needed to remove really old ones. Around day 5 or so after she started sitting, I candled them when she was taking her daily food break, and had a few clears, but she hatched 10 of the 15. I'm fairly sure the oldest one hatched.

I would think poop could contaminate but I suspect she will likely clean it off, or it mostly will rub off as she moves the eggs. If its really bad, I might wipe it, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would clear out any poop if she poops too close to the nest.

Wipe out?
Actually, I am confused after reading such material like the wash with warm water and immediate dry or use dry sponge etc or use damp cloth simply to remove.What should I do?

Wipe out?
Actually, I am confused after reading such material like the wash with warm water and immediate dry or use dry sponge etc or use damp cloth simply to remove.What should I do?

Honestly, I've read so many different opinions, you can get 50 different suggestions.

I can tell you that I dont normally wash eggs that I incubate. But I got some shipped eggs, one was pretty dirty, so I experimented and washed it. Marked it also. It hatched 3rd of 11 (out of 12 eggs). I just washed it with warm water and immediately dried with a paper towel.

So I say pick a method and try it. :) sorry, I know you want a definitive answer, but there are just too many possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom