Egg storage

I keep mine in a spare turner with quail racks, that way they get turned regularly and I don't have to remember to do it
lau.gif

Otherwise you'd do it the same as you would for chicken eggs, you can even put them in egg cartons (use paper towel to take up the extra space though). Then just make sure to turn them at least once a day.

Quote:
X2

THEY ACTUALLY DO BETTER IF AGED 2-3 DAYS BEFORE SETTING AND FERTILITY USUALLY LASTS UNTIL ABOUT DAY 10 OR 11, THEN IT DROPS OFF SHARPLY.

There is a scientific method of storing eggs that call for precise temp./humidity, turning, etc.

I do 2-7 days on the counter, then into the bator. I've had pretty good luck with that, and on a side note: I started out with 6 coturnix. 6 became 19. 19 became 36, etc....
Somewhere between 60 and 160, I ordered eggs from others, but the method still works. You can turn them if you want, but not IMHO paramount unless you are storing them for more than 7 days.

I keep mine on the counter in cartons. I won't hatch them if they are over 7 days old. My best hatch rates have been at 5 days.

Quote:
X2

I store mine on little shelves with holes that they balance on. Stacked on a holder. I'll take a picture.

Here it is. I don't turn, I save for 5 days and do something with them.
17739_104_0261.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I picked up those trays years ago at a thrift store cause they might come in handy for something. When the quail started laying, I thought the eggs would fit, pulled them out and walla they did.

So DH made the tray holder out of a piece of wood and dowel rods.

You could just use a piece of 1/2" plywood and drill holes for the eggs and router the ends to fit nicely over a dowel and paint it all pretty. The holes are 7/8" and staggered.
You might go just a tad smaller though, as some of the first eggs from my MG sink low though they don't fall through.
Each tray holds 20 eggs, which is just right for the quail I have. Well for now anyway.

Mine has yet to get painted. I use it everyday, so probably won't happen. I was so excited to have the holder for the trays, I started using it right away.

I like that I can just lift a whole tray off the rack to cook with. Makes it very convenient. Or just take the whole thing over to the stove to make boiled eggs. Or pick and choose through the eggs when I decide to hatch. I use one tray per days collecting, so that I know at a glace how old the eggs are.

So there you go, you to can have a quail egg tray storage area on your counter. I really like mine. If I didn't already have an egg turner, I would probably just use it as it is plastic.

Back
Top Bottom