Egg. Stuck in the vent

rustybeers

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
I posted earlier that I thought I may have a hen who is egg bound. Well yesterday I discovered that the egg is stuck in her vent. I can see part of the egg through the hole. Last night we soaked her in warm water and applied lubricant to the vent and the portion of the egg we could see. We did the same thing this morning only to find that I can see the egg at 2 different hole her vent now. I am currently soaking her for a 3 rd time in 24 hours, going to reapply lubricant and preparation H. What do I do about this? Any help I am very concerned for her health. Any advice is much appreciated!!!

I saw where someone suggested gently massaging the chicken starting at the stomach area and moving backward to the vent area to help work it out. I also saw this:
I had one two days ago that was egg bound, but I didn't have the energy to deal with her, so I locked her up overnight. When I went to check on her in the morning, she still had not laid the egg, so I gave her 500mg of calcium and 35ml of fluids via a tube. About one hour later she laid her egg, I kid you not....
I'm very new to chickens and awaiting an answer to my question when I noticed you hadn't gotten an answer. I'm not sure how helpful either of those suggestions are, but that's what I found, other than what you've done.
Good luck!

I have massaged her, but the entire egg is in the vent, it appears hat the egg cannot fit through the vent "hole". I will try the liquid calcium, what did you use?

I'm sorry. That was an answer I found from someone else. I'm not sure what kind they used. I was trying to be helpful, since no one was answering you.

I haven't treated egg binding before, but many people have posted about it here on BYC. They talk about manipulation of the egg with lubricating the vent and trying to to get the egg out. One link I read the people decided to cut it out with a small incision.

Back
Top Bottom