Egg stuck to chick

Flashfire

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
I had a chick hatch two days ago, naturally with the hen. But I noticed that there seems to be a big chunk of muck stuck to her around her bottom area, like egg shell and possibly chicken poop, I tried to scrape it off her gently but it seemed to be raw flesh and blood under the little bit I did scrape off, so I decided to leave it alone. It doesnt seem to be bothering her, I don't want to lose her as she is the only survivor of 5 eggs.

Also mumma, abandoned one egg and went to start sitting on another nest (I have 5 other laying chickens as well) the egg she abandoned was cool to touch so I am thinking that the chick maybe dead. How long can they survive without warmth?

Regards

Lee

Hello, The chick will not last if the hen came off the nest..

In this case you would need an incubator on hand to finish off the egg hatching.

If your in the US I can also assume the weather is cold where you are which the egg will last

no longer than 1 hour without incubation.

As for the stuff stuck on the other chick, If it is flesh underneath just let it be.

It will eventually fall off and feathers will cover it with time.

Best of luck!

Regards

You DO need to get that off of her if it's blocking her vent. Plus, if it's close enough to her vent,
every time she uses the bathroom it's just going to build up even more. Bring her inside for a
moment and hold a warm damp cloth to her bottom until the rag is no longer warm. Everything
should come off of her bottom with ease. What you're seeing is most likely a mixture of poop,
eggshell and membrane.

As for the abandoned egg, I personally would candle the egg and see if there's any sign of life
at all. If you think there is, stick the egg underneath her and remove the eggs she just started
setting on. Don't move her, just swap the eggs. If there's no signs of life, toss all the eggs. It'd
be best to remove the new batch of eggs, seeing that she has a new baby, she won't stay on
them. She'll just begin incubating them, and then kill them all when she's ready to get off her
nest with the baby.

Good luck!

Last edited:
No need for any more concern, the chick died yesterday morning. I tried candling the egg but I don't know how to do it. Thanks for your help anyway.

Back
Top Bottom