EGG SWAP (Columbia County, NY) "so far" list of eggs POSTED

Oh, Im sorry for your loss :0( I just lost a bunch of my young chicks, actually, I lost my last one today! I'm so sad :0( Still have my big chickens...they are all doing great.

Quote:
I am sorry. My Penedesenca Roo passed away also. No Pene eggs unless I can get a friend to get me a Roo at the Ohio show. There are NO Partridge Penedesencas around here at all.

Oh, so sad :0(

I hate losing my chickies. I lost alot to hurricane Irene than my mean Red Star killed a bunch and I guess the cold must have gotten to the other ones...one I know for sure (he was my favorite) My daughter and I went out and my hubby diddnt know that the chickens were still out so they didnt get put away. When I got home, most of them went into their coop on their own but 2 were out hiding. The one older chicken (white leghorn) was under my porch and the young roo was out and wouldn't make a sound. I walked all over my property calling for him and my daughter and I thought we heard him once but we still couldnt find him. the next morning I got up and the frost was everywhere and I knew that he was going to be dead. I got the kids off to school and then continued my search. About 20 mins in, I found him about 15-20 ft. into the woods and he was frozen
hit.gif
I cried and felt like if I only stayed out there later the night before and not had been so scared to go into the woods (because of the coyotes and such) that I couldve found him and he would still be alive! Oh well, there is nothing I can do to change the past but I can learn from it... Sorry for rambling on, I have a habit of doing that, lol.

Last edited:
So sorry
hugs.gif
I know how you feel, I heard some crowing around 1:30 am and ran downstairs and looked out the door, but since it stopped I figured it was nothing and went back to bed. My DH and 12 yo DD found the feathers etc the next morning.
hit.gif
The next day, in broad daylight, the fox came back and got my NN cockeral. Now we are keeping the outside light on all night and letting my dog out at random times, so far no more fox. But I am thinking about getting something to shoot it with if it comes back.
rant.gif

Hello, I live about hour northeast of Albany in Washington county... By April, I could have Turkey eggs, Sweetgrass and Eastern Bronze. My Sebastopal geese could still be laying too! I will have all kinds of Crested duck eggs, and alot of layer cross chicken eggs. I will have Americauna eggs, and maybe some Guniea Hen eggs. I would love to have peacock eggs, but I would not know for sure. I will have Blue Cochin eggs, and maybe call duck eggs. If anyone would be interested in trying some of my own meat bird eggs, I could bring those too... I have rabbits, and pigeons as well.
Where do I sign up?
Lisa

Hi lisathenorth, welcome....you have an interesting variety. What kind of meat birds are you talking about? I am just getting started with meat rabbits and coturnix quail. We bought 2 turkeys from TSC and will process them for Thanksgiving. I would like to raise some turkeys that we could keep and breed. We had cornish x from TSC this past year and liked them, so would like to do something like that again. When/if we get ducks, I would like to have khaki campbells for the egg production.

Well, the meat bird story is an interesting one. I bought a bunch of eggs on line a few years ago. I can't remember what the breed was suppose to be. I think it was Brahma bantums, and they person sent me these huge chicken eggs. So, I set them to see what would hatch out. They were these big white chicks, and all of the other heritage breed chicks were picking on them and they were being killed. So, I thought what is wrong with these chicks? I turned the last female chick loose in our garage, and I soon discovered what kind of chicken she was! She grew and grew and grew. She huge fat and passice. My youngest daughter loved her, because she could pick her up and cart her around. I realized she was a bird bird, and i warned my daughter that she would not have babies and she would not live long. I was wrong on both accounts! She ended up laying eggs fertilized by a RIR and the Chubba (that was her name) meat bird line was born. she was such a funny chicken because she would go broody and try to steal a nest from one of the other hens, and she was so heavy that she would crush some of the eggs that she was trying to sit on! She died of heart failure last winter, and we decided to try to start a hardier line of meat bird using the cornish/rock cross as a base. My meat birds are not of the typical free range type. I found most free range meat birds to have tough meat. They are stillMy birds are just huge fast growing typical meat birds that have better livablity to withstand harsher climates like the hot sun or the freezing cold.
If you would like to try some eggs, I can begin you some...
smile.png

Yes, the birds live great and they do breed. it takes about 3 months for them to mature about a month longer than regular meat birds. If you hatch them out with a bunch of regular chicks, you will se the difference in size pretty quick!

Back
Top Bottom