Egg Turning

siberian

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
Havn't tried it yet, but it's coming soon. I was just wondering if twice is all you should turn the eggs in a 24 hour period or is that the minimium. Also, what is the longest time that one should go without turning an egg. Thanks for any and all help.
ed

I would turn 3 and more times a day. It best to use a 2x4 or 4x4 wood block or something similar size so you don't have to turn each individual egg.

Welcome to BYC
smile.png

I turn 3 times per day minimum. A hen turns her eggs well over 5 times daily, so it's very unlikely to 'over turn'. Whatever it should be,
turn an odd number of times so that during the night, the eggs will not be on the same side they were the night before. If you have school
or work, I'd turn them before I leave, when I get home, and right before bed and that will be good. I've read and heard many people who only
turn once a day, and have good hatch rates, but the eggs in a hen's nest would be turned into the double digits. So IMO more is better. The
longest I leave my eggs un-turned is about 10 hours - through the night. I turn right before bed, and right when I get up. If you are worried
about forgetting, (believe it or not, I have forgotten my eggs before) or not having time to turn, get an auto turner. Good luck

Last edited:
Thank You for the replys. Have read and read ,but this is going to be the first time, just want to make sur. Thanks

Quote:
Same here, I do it the exact same way, minus a board, I just use my hands. I put an X on one side and an O on the other so I know I got them all.

I also agree that the odd number is best so they arent on one side too long.
Now my Sportsman has an auto turner and it does it EVERY hour, so you arent going to over turn by hand by no means.

Once in the morning, again when you get in, then again before bed is perfect though
AND REMEMBER stop with 2-3 days to go.

Back
Top Bottom