Egg w/No Shell + Naked Yolk

May 5, 2023
Hi, Again!

My last girl Thyme just started laying eggs two days ago. This morning when we were letting the girls out to forage, we noticed Thyme was not with her sisters. She was in the coop up on the roosts and very quiet - she usually talks to me nonstop. That's when I saw what I thought was a weird looking poop on the ground, and realized it was a yoke. Not too far away was a shellless egg, and upon inspection it also had a yolk inside (we didn't eat it). She seemed lethargic and quiet, just preferring to roost by herself instead of join her sisters.

She's now out foraging, but is still very quiet and dos not seem like herself. Her comb seems pale and she's eating, but not with the same gusto. I've heard newly laying hens sometimes lay shell-less eggs, but she seems very affected by it. Any advice?

The girls all get layer feed and I always have a bowl of free choice oyster shell. They also get to forage in our yard a few hours each day under supervision.

Do you feed treats?

Since she laid a shell less egg it might be a good idea to give her a a calcium pill. Just because you have oyster shell out does not mean the birds will eat it.
We give them watermelon and frozen strawberries when it is hot. I just gave them all some yogurt. Do you get calcium pills from the feed store?

She has diarrhea now as well. Should I take her to the vet?

We give them watermelon and frozen strawberries when it is hot. I just gave them all some yogurt. Do you get calcium pills from the feed store?

She has diarrhea now as well. Should I take her to the vet?
I would stop feeding ALL treats and only feed the pelleted or crumbled layer feed from now on.

Last edited:
I am sorry...I would NOT take this bird to the vet at this time.
This is common for brand new layers.
Get her the human calcium pills, layer feed and time and she should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom