Egg washers, what about bloom?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by belibutn, Feb 8, 2009.

1. belibutn

belibutn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    East TN
    Hey all, I was thinking about getting some eggwash when I order my egg cartons, and was wondering if it washes the natural bloom off of the eggs. I know that needs to be there, and that commercial egg producers put on a fake bloom. Is there something I should do to the eggs after I use an eggwash on them?

thanks

2. if mine are dirty, i usually wash in warm water and dawn dish detergent, let dry and put in fridge. marrie

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have never found that washing my eggs hurt them in any way when hatching them but I only wash with water.

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I too only wash with warm water .
    and a paper towel to dry up.or sometimes
    let them set on the counter
    for a few minutes to dry up

5. belibutn

belibutn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    East TN
    ok, thanks much. It's always better when I don't have to buy anything. [​IMG]

6. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I wash mine only when dirty,
    which is a lot lately due to the wet weather I think!
    I use a wet paper towel. Then dry and pop then in the fridge!
    Brenda

7. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    My grandmother.. who worked at an egg-packing factory in the early 50's.. told me not to use water as it opens up the pores in the egg and could let bacteria in, as well as diminish shelf-life.

If I have a dirty egg, I wash it just before I use it. Then I was out my egg cartons once the last egg is used, and start the cycle all over again.

8. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I read on one of those University web sites (Minnesota?) that if you are putting eggs in your fridge or on the kitchen counter it is best to wash them first, since there might be salmonella on the shell.

They recommended washing the egg with water slightly warmer than the egg's temperature to prevent the problem byrandom mentions of opening the pores to bacteria. It seems counter-intuitive to me, since I think of pores as opening with warmth, but maybe egg pores are different than human skin. I use a little liquid Dial soap and warm water and dry the eggs before I put them into my fridge.

My chickens tend to get poo on their feet, and they lay the egg in a box where their feet were, so...

On the other hand, the other day I heard Melinda Lee say on her cooking show that only one egg in 10,000 will have salmonella, but I assume she is talking about commercially produced eggs, not ours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by