Egg Washing

CassInMass

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
I have read both not to wash eggs and to wash eggs. I bought some Egg Washer Pro from McMurray, but not sure if I should use it once my pullets start laying. Whatever help you can give will be appreciated.

Cass,

We never fridge our egg and only wash them right before we use them. I don't think it's necessary for you to wash them and put them in the fridge.

Enjoy them when they come!

Trish

I don't wash mine either. They have a protective barrier on the outside of the egg that helps keep out bacteria. That is what I've read, anyway. Makes sense to me.
big_smile.png

This link is interesting about storing eggs. It should help answer your questions.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sust...ggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx

When eggs are laid, they have a coating on them called "bloom". Bloom helps keep bacteria out of the porous egg. The egg shell is porous so the developing chicks can breath. If you remove the bloom, bacteria can get in easier. If you need to clean an egg, a light brushing is best unless you are going to use it very soon.

Also, washing an egg in water colder than the egg will cause the porous egg to absorb water, which may have bacteria in it. If you have to wash an egg, the water should be about 10 degrees F warmer than the egg. If you are selling your eggs, you may want to wash them.

The best way to have clean eggs is to keep the poop out of the nests.

Eggs to be incubated should never be washed.

Back
Top Bottom