Baby chick help

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
I had to assist this little one who was shrink wrapped. At first I was sure it wouldn’t make it but now it’s trying to stand problem is it stands like a human so straight up and down and when it doesn’t have help it falls over backwards. Any thoughts of what I can do to help it more. The picture is after I just bathed and washed it cause only one side was fluffing up because of all the stuck egg membrane.

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpeg
    IMG_1989.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 29
Assuming it just hatched within the past few hours, for now I'd let it rest in 90-95F. Perhaps it's just needing to relax it's little muscles. It doesn't appear splayed so that's good.

I'd put some vitamins like poultry cell or nutra drench etc. in the water so when you're getting it drinking the vitamins might help.

Assuming it just hatched within the past few hours, for now I'd let it rest in 90-95F. Perhaps it's just needing to relax it's little muscles. It doesn't appear splayed so that's good.

I'd put some vitamins like poultry cell or nutra drench etc. in the water so when you're getting it drinking the vitamins might help.
Thanks I will do that right away

Oh, yikes! Then it might have gotten injured when you got him out of the shell. If that's the case, that's beyond what I'd know to do. I'll tag a couple who might. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
Thanks. Right now I fashioned a container to help it stand. I may have to cull it but I’ll give it the night and see. I don’t want it to suffer.

Morning everyone this morning the little one is walking on its own. I added some water and food into the incubator and will leave it till tonight and if it still looks good it will join its friends in the brooder. I think the bath helped as it is possible it was a balance thing as one side was all fluffed up and the other stick to it with guck.

Chicks do tend to rest a good bit during the first week of their life. They will try to walk then nod off and go straight to sleep. As mentioned above you can put nutrients/electrolytes in the water to help. Hopefully it can push through!

Back
Top Bottom