Egg Watch

Branderella

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
I need my girls to start laying. tried cayanne pepper, buying eggs, now I am posting.. If october comes and they havent laid, I will be having chicken noodle soup. They are 26 weeks right now!

What do you do with cayanne pepper to make them lay? Some of my girls are way older than 26 weeks, and not laying. Turns out that I was doing everything wrong. Apparently not enough feed and way too many treats! and they were getting very thin, and eating constantly all the wrong stuff. Anyway last week I wormed them and put them and Layer feed all day with very few treats and today they were back to there old selves singing and strutting around and searching for spots to lay. So i expect eggs anyday now. I can't eat them for a couple of weeks but i will get them! LOL
If your feeding them like you should , and Im sure that you are, I wouldn't worry, they'll lay for ya when there ready. Good luck with you girls!

What breed are they? It could be the heat. My latest batch of chicks didn't lay until they were almost thirty weeks old. But then, it has been really hot here.

Rufus

Mine are 25 weeks and most haven't layed, or even considered it. Only three have actually laid, but 2 are so inconsistent it seems a bother. So out of 15 hens at 25 weeks, one little ol' egg a day, and it's impact cracked 80% of the time.

Stupid chickens.

I feed my four (RIR,SLW,EE,GSL) a little over 2 cups of layer everyday. They also get some veggies just about everyday..Is that ok?

Quote:
Do they free range? 2 cups doesn't seem like a lot for 4 chickens, especially if that's all they get (including the veg, which has only a little protein). I personally give my chickens free choice. Granted, they free range and forage for most of the day, therefore consume less feed, but it still seems that their daily food intake would amount to more than 1/2 cup daily (unless it's 2 cups EACH?). This has never been a problem as they don't seem apt to overeat. There are chubby chickens out there, so don't know if others feel the same way.

they free range a couple hours a week. It is 2 cups for all four together. They take forever to eat it...so they areent starving I think...

I thought chickens needed food available to them all the time. I know other types of birds graze all day. My chickens eat all the time. They are about 14 - 19 weeks. I have 31 of them and we go through about 50 lbs of feed in just over a week. I made my feeder out of a 5 gal. bucket and they empty it about every 3 days. They are still on grower, haven't started them on layer yet.

They get some treats -- corn on the cob, strawberries, and a tomato or two here and there. But, mostly I rely on their feed for good nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom