Egg - who’s who?

chloeonz

Chirping
Feb 12, 2019
New Zealand
We have a 2 yr old blue orpington that we got a month ago and we were told she had just come back on the lay after winter. We didn’t get any eggs from her so put it down to shock. Her comb became bright red but still nothing. I was looking for round (“plump”) eggs.
We have a Plymouth barred rock who is 6 months old, so have been waiting for her to start - although its still technically winter - its been warm so thought she’d start up like everyone else.
THEN..
We got our first pale pink, long pointy egg. We celebrated our Plymouth Rocks first egg as she was hatched from eggs exactly like this.

We also have an old girl - white hen, possibly has orpington or australorp in her - she lays nearly every day - light brown round/plumpy eggs.

So...talking to our Orp’s ex-owner, she pointed out HER orps lay long pointy eggs!!

So...have I been giving the praise to the wrong lady???:lau

Picture: left - white hen
Right- who’s are they? Pale pink in colour

Attachments

• E7E6B9C2-280E-43FC-B98E-107861F13D3A.jpeg
    E7E6B9C2-280E-43FC-B98E-107861F13D3A.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 12
Good question....to be sure who is laying you will need either a 'hen cam' or trap nest.
I have a lavender Orpington now 3-4 years old - worst layer ever!:barnie She eats, poops, goes broody...eggs? Not in her repertoire.

HAHa! Oh dear!! Ok thank you. I have seen her on the nest, but never the PBR, so maybe the clues are all pointing to the orp.

Good question....to be sure who is laying you will need either a 'hen cam' or trap nest.
I have a lavender Orpington now 3-4 years old - worst layer ever!:barnie She eats, poops, goes broody...eggs? Not in her repertoire.
It was the Orpington- she’s been laying 6 days a week and we’ve been giving praise to the wrong hen lol. At least now we know!!

Back
Top Bottom