1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg with No Shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Somebody in my flock laid a perfect egg -- all except it had no shell whatsoever. The membrane sac was intact, but there was no shell on the egg at all.

What causes this?

What should I do about this?

It only happened once -- today. Is it just a fluke, or is this the start of something?

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Do you supplement oyster shells? How long have they been laying? If thy are new sometimes it just happens. If thy are older give them calcium via oyster shells. I just mix some in food for a little bit and they snap right out of it. Hope this helps.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It's not unusual in pullets. I've had a couple of those as well. Just make sure they have oyster shell available as they are working out the kinks in their egg laying systems.

4. Cat's Coop

Cat's Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    North Fort Worth, Texas
    I had this happen the other day too! Very strange!

5. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Would raw milk provide the same calcium, or is there a reason to go out and buy oyster shell for them?

The reason I ask is because there is a dairy farm not too far from me, and I'm able to get raw milk from them when it is too old to sell. They can only sell milk for one or two days after they get it from the cow, so if they get more milk than they can sell in that time span, I get their extra for free. My chickens get raw milk several times a week as a result.

But I do have a couple of young pullets who have only been laying about two months now.

6. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    It would supplement calcium as well. The reason I use oyster shells is they stay in the crop and work to help digest food better. Basically working as grit while they dissolve in the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by