Egg with tail

melissamar97

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Texas
One of my EEs just laid this egg in the middle of my backyard (7pm, almost dusk). She was lurching, like a dog, and laid this egg in the grass. I read other posts where pullets laid eggs like this, but this hen is over 2 years old. She is also lowest in the pecking order. Her eggs are normally blue and recently we had a blue egg that had a heavy swirl on the large end. Is this normal or should I be concerned something more serious is wrong with her? The shell is firm, but it broke when I gently pushed on it.

[/IMG]

I've seen lots of weirdness in eggs, but I've never seen that. Can you tell us what the tail is like? Hard like the shell or soft? Can you try to describe it? Have you cracked the shell open to see how it attaches to the shell on the inside?

I've seen lots of weirdness in eggs, but I've never seen that. Can you tell us what the tail is like? Hard like the shell or soft? Can you try to describe it? Have you cracked the shell open to see how it attaches to the shell on the inside?

The tail is soft, as well as the end of the egg where it attaches. You might be able to see a slight coloration difference in the region where the shell is softer around the tail, as well as a slight pinkish tint on the end of the tail. It looks like a sausage casing that didn't get cut off properly. I haven't completely cracked the egg open yet, but can do so this evening and post an update.

Here is what the inside of the tail end looks like. It seems like the egg came out before the shell was fully formed, so I guess I'll keep an eye on the hen for more oddities. She seems normal otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom