Egg yolk kept shape when pierced

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by My chicken is cuter, Feb 28, 2009.

1. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    This morning was the first time I tried my hen's eggs. But when I pierced the yolk it kept it's shape, what's wrong with it? Thanks in advance!!

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Good yard bird eggs are nice and thick. Is that what you meant?

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    There's nothing wrong with it -- unless being of extraordinary quality is a fault. [​IMG]

4. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Welcome to the world of having fresh eggs! They are so much easier to make over easy than store bought and they hardboil differently as well. Their shells don't come off as well and they have a thicker coating on them.

5. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    Eat Fresh!! Grow yer Own!! You get eggs that stand up under pressure. I literally have to spread the yolk with a fork in the pan.
    As far as peeling hardboiled, I learned here on BYC that you boil your water first, lower the eggs in with a big spoon, (cause I get BIG eggs), boil for about 12 -15 minutes, then immediately cool down under cold running water. Then they peel nicely.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They're just high quality & fresh! We're used to the store ones and assume that's "normal". Having your own hens will readjust your ideas of normal eggs.

I recently baked something with eggs and was surprised how firm the yolks were. The French use different recipes at different times of year, based on the eggs (which reflect the birds' diets). Maybe yolks are just firmer in the spring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by