Egg yolk peritonitis.... can a hen be cured?

Fergie

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
NW, Washington
I am curious if anybody has heard of a hen being cured from egg yolk peritonitis. My vet told me it's almost always fatal. We have a hen we are treating with antibiotics, and her behavior and appetite have improved drastically, and the swelling in her abdomen is decreased. So, we are very hopeful. However, the vet also said she may have internal damage from the infection, so may not be able to begin laying again. So if that's true, I'm wondering if we are on a vicious cycle we can't get out of with her....?

Has anyone heard of a hen being cured from peritonitis to the point they begin laying eggs with proper shells again?

Thanks.

Yes, though I have lost four hens to internal laying. The vet is correct in what he said, but my fifth one was on death's doorstep and we decided to pump her full of penicillin. Miraculously, she held on, then began to gain weight, and now she is fat and sassy and laying again. In fact, I just hatched two of her daughters. So, though it's a long shot, it is possible. I mean, what have you got to lose by trying, right? Hope yours makes it.

Oh.... that gives me hope that Speckles, my Delaware will make it. It's been so grim around here having our flock of four reduced to two.

Thanks!

Hey.... good news! Speckles laid her first egg in months! It's a big oblong, but the shell is relatively strong. We are feeling pretty darn happy around here. So, it looks as though we are heading the right direction having changed our feed, administering antibiotics and giving her lots of calcium rich treats.

big_smile.png

My hen had egg yolk peritonitis twice. Once in July 2009 and once in July 2010. We took her to the vet immediately after noticing her swollen abdomen and purple crown. Our vet drained her abdomen with a syringe (not completely, just the majority of the fluid). We then took her home with some Baytril and a probiotic, Benebac. We gave our hen probiotics in the a.m. and antibiotic in the p.m. We took her out to hunt bugs and eat grass. She craved a high protein diet. We gave her fish left over from dinner and the vet said the fish oil would be helpful. (no bones/no seasoning).
We gave the Baytril for 5 days, stopped for a day or two and then gave it for another 5 days.
Today my hen is doing well, although she no longer lays eggs. Catch it early, and take your hen to someone who can give her appropriate care.
YES, hens can survive peritonitis.

Last edited:
Quote:
speckled hen - is breeding from a hen that has EYP ok? i just wondered if ther was a chance her daughters could 'inherit' the disease...?, or is there maybe not enough studies done on it/information available on the subject.

]I have a 2 year old White Leghorn who also experienced Egg Peritonitis 2 months ago. She looked terrible and it clearly looked like the end. I treated her with Nutridrench and Duravet-10 for 7 days; by the 3rd day she was her old self, sassy and bossy. About one month after treatment she laid a thin shelled egg. Since then nothing. Today I woke up and noticed the swollen abdomen, tremors and lethargy once again. I started her off right away with Duravet 10 and the Nutridrench. Hopefully she will recover. So yes, it is possible to survive Egg Peritonitis, but as far as future laying, I am doubtful. While we are on the subject of not layig, my big, beautiful Australorp has not laid an egg since February. She had gotten ill with a boccilism type bug and the vet gave her Tylan-50 powder, plus an injection of a very strong antibiotic. She made a full recovery, laying 2 eggs immediately after, and then no laying. She appears to be healthy in all other respects. She eats like a horse (organic feed, and forages), but her layig has not returned. Am I to believe that she will no longer lay? She only turned 2 in April!

Any information would be great!:)[/SIZE]

Our Khaki Campbell just had surgery yesterday for egg stuck in oviduct. During surgery it was discovered she also had EYP. We are picking her up later today. Hoping for the best. But I'm discouraged since I've been reading non stop about EYP. Doesn't seem like the long term prognosis is good. Not very much info out there. Any advice is welcome.

Back in 2009 on this thread, I posted that I had lost 4 hens to internal laying. Well, the number rose to over 15, plus a couple that died from EYP. Most all my breeder hens have much better longevity, dying at ripe old ages of 7-10 years of age, just lost a 9 1/2 yr old blue Orp hen, and I currently have one hen who was 10 back in March and she still lays periodically, though she has lost the use of one leg to severe arthritis. After all the hatchery stock was deceased, the problems almost completely stopped, though there have been a couple of exceptions.

The prognosis is not good, no. The only true cure is a complete hysterectomy that will permanently stop laying because once this starts, it is almost always chronic/recurring.

Back
Top Bottom