Eggbarassin' Question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Picky Chicky, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    [​IMG]

Ever since moving out to the country I've been bugging the DH to build a coop so I can raise my chickens... over the weekend there was a "Field Day of the Past" (aka-county fair), and they had all sorts - which only fueled the fire more.

I am positive that I want to start off with bantams, specifically silkies, Japanese, and maybe a frizzle or two... but I was wondering...

So the silly question...
    Do the smaller eggs taste any different than the store bought big ones?

I'm a bit of a picky eater and I know the rest of the family might follow and look at me like I'm crazy that I'm expecting them to eat an egg that looks 'different'. [​IMG]

Thanks for the info!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They taste better than the storebought eggs. Some people consider bantam eggs better than large eggs because bantam eggs have more yolk than white.

3. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    All homegrown eggs taste better than store bought eggs!!! At first they were a little strong to me but now I can't eat anything else! Even when we go out for breakfast I have to refrain from ordering eggs. They taste funny!!!

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I agree with Sundown Waterfowl they do taste better than store bought. The only difference in bantam eggs and standard eggs is that you will have to use more of them. Check www.whatscookingamerica.net/Egg/EggEquivalent.htm for allowance for size of eggs when cooking

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    No experience yet but I have heard they make the BEST fried eggs sandwiches![​IMG]

6. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Yum! Fried egg sandwiches are good, but so are "Gas House" sandwiches ... smaller eggs would be perfect for that I bet! The bigger ones always leak out of the hole in the bread. [​IMG]

Thanks all for your input! I've got 101 other questions I'll be pecking your brains for!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you'l be very pleased at how *much* better your eggs wil taste![​IMG]

8. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    but so are "Gas House" sandwiches

What's a Gas House sandwich?​

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Egg-n-a-hole maybe?

10. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:What's a Gas House sandwich?

Yeah...what she said above me!!

Gas House?????

I've heard of scrambled egg and mustard??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by