Eggbarassin' Question...

Quote:
Uh oh... does this mean I should prepare to be attacked when I go egg fishin?
hit.gif

Well, as long as they are not broody, you can just snatch up eggs after the nest is left empty. If one goes broody, just kick them off enough times and lock them out. I usually get growled at rather than attacked. Just saying you might not get very many eggs from them to eat since they will stop laying when they go broody, and takes 1-2 months for them to start again. Add that broody down time with a winter break and moult, they are laying maybe for half the year if they go broody once... I had a black silkie once who I probably got 4 dozen eggs out of in her in the two years I had her. Sold her to someone who wanted a broody!

Quote:
Why do you save the hole?

It's more like a case of "why throw it away"?... I keep the portion removed from the center and toast it in the skillet along with the bread & egg. It gets nice & flavorful along with the sandwich, and can be eaten as is or with a dollop of jelly or apple butter for a sweet treat to go along with the sandwich.

I think they're called different things...

"Egg in a basket"
"Egg in the hole"
"Gashouse Eggs"

Our family calls them "One eyes".

And a "Cyclops" is pancake batter poured in a circle with an egg plopped in the middle. Talk about tough to flip!!

When we go out to eat I don't order eggs out unless it's done up in a omlete or something that the taste is covered up by cheese and/or salsa
big_smile.png

But right now my son and I are both off of eggs, we are new to incubating and we have been "watching" thier progress through candleing and seeing the embryos swimming around has turned us off eggs for a bit. But I am sure we will get over this REAL quick if we had to eat to many store bought eggs.
D.gif

SC​

They're called toad-in-a-hole, people! It's one of my favorite things for breakfast. You save the hole, toast it in butter along with the rest of it, then place it on top of the egg hole before eating.

The bantam eggs make really cute little hard boiled eggs, and also neat little fried eggs. The kids seem especially charmed by their small size. I use more bantam eggs than standards because I usually save more of the standards for selling. I don't worry so much about size adjustments, just guess-timate 2-3 banty eggs for 1 standard. Or use a couple dozen or more to make a big batch of French Toast batter.

We call those other sandwiches "Bird's Nests" and grill the cut-out hole along with the rest, and eat it on top of the nest.

Back
Top Bottom