Eggbound and busted

fishin_dad

Songster
Feb 28, 2020
Sumter, South Carolina
My 6 month old KC duck was walking funny so I checked her out and she was egg bound. I tried gently messaging the egg out but it felt soft on one end. I don't know what to do. I sanitized my hands and attempted to feel the egg but I could not feel it other than through tissue. Any advice. I cannot afford a vet bill at this time unfortunately.

Calcium Gluconate, 1ml orally should get the egg out hopefully. It's not expensive and at tractor supply.
calgul.jpg

We're trying to "picture" what you're seeing ... How is your duck today?
Are you sure the egg broke in her or are you assuming it did?
As recommended a warm soaking bath with Epsom Salt may help her "push" it out. Keep her in a warm, dark area to help relax her (I know it's for chickens but ...)
@DuckyDonna Wonder if that would help chickens too? I crush up Calcium tablets or even Tums for chickens.

We're trying to "picture" what you're seeing ... How is your duck today?
Are you sure the egg broke in her or are you assuming it did?
As recommended a warm soaking bath with Epsom Salt may help her "push" it out. Keep her in a warm, dark area to help relax her (I know it's for chickens but ...)
@DuckyDonna Wonder if that would help chickens too? I crush up Calcium tablets or even Tums for chickens.
I'm really not sure about chickens. Ironically I grew up on a massive chicken farm and yet learned nothing! I was a kid but we had no less than 3000 chickens at any time. I helped my grama with cleaning and candleing the eggs but, like I said, I was a kid and didn't really pay that much attention.

Fast forward to now. I know that calcium citrate tablets (for people) can be ground up and given for egg shells that are thin or soft. Calcium gluconate is what I give to ducks that can't pass the egg and so far it's worked for me every time. I've had a couple of ducks who were a mess with being egg bound. I mean, truly a mess! They couldn't even walk. I gave them 1 ml of calcium gluconate and they were good to go the next day. I even dyed a vent one time. Blue. I was so glad to see a blue egg the next day and it was huge.

Wonder if that would help chickens too? I crush up Calcium tablets or even Tums for chickens.

It can be used with chickens.

I have given it to a couple of mine, I usually just stick a 22 gauge needle right into the subcutaneous layer of skin, near the interscapular region. I have given it orally the same amount of times as well, but I personally prefer the SQ route since gluconate can cause irritation of the throat in some birds. It can also be given IM, but I don't think I'll ever feel like tipping an egg-bound chicken on its back ever.

Ideally, if the bird isn't drinking, fluids should be given in conjunction with the gluconate.

Back
Top Bottom