Eggbound hen skin swollen red and gooey

LilyLovesBugs

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
For the last several hours I have been dealing with an eggbound hen. I have used a plastic glove with vaseline on it and felt inside her vent and I can feel an egg. I have soaked her in a warm bath twice and have massaged the area and have put vaseline inside the vent. Checking now under vent there are patches of skin that are blood red, swollen, and gooey. Please help, she needs to pass this egg

I'd put her in a warm, comfortable, darkened place by herself (if you haven't already) with food and water, to encourage her to rest and sleep. I'd probably put some Preparation H up her vent to reduce swelling, and maybe not examine her any more, since you already know there is an egg there and you don't want her to swell any more from being examined. There are threads in our FAQ section about eggbound hens that might have some more hints.

I don't know what I would have done if she would have died, so besides are 6 hens we have a seperate coop with the two chicks I raised and those chicks love eachother so much!

Back
Top Bottom