Eggbound Hen

pntdhorses

Songster
6 Years
Oct 18, 2015
SE Kansas
Has anyone had a hen that has gone egg bound? My Polish started walking like a penguin a few days ago so I immediately took her to the vet and she was definitely egg bound. It took the vet 25 minutes to extract the egg. However it has been four days now and she is still walking like a penguin. I asked the vet and she said it would probably take her four or five days to straighten back up. But I was just wondering if anybody else has had this experience and how long it took their hen to start walking normally again.

Has anyone had a hen that has gone egg bound? My Polish started walking like a penguin a few days ago so I immediately took her to the vet and she was definitely egg bound. It took the vet 25 minutes to extract the egg. However it has been four days now and she is still walking like a penguin. I asked the vet and she said it would probably take her four or five days to straighten back up. But I was just wondering if anybody else has had this experience and how long it took their hen to start walking normally again.
I've never had an egg bound hen but i would soak her in an Epsom salt bath, usually that will help her release any eggs, and will soothe her if she's in any pain. Hope this could help. Again I've never had an egg bound hen but this is what seems to be the most widespread treatment, and epsom salt baths can help a lot of issues.

This swelling may have nothing to do with the obstruction. If this swelling is pushing her legs apart as much as six to eight inches, she may have ascites caused by liver disease. This is fluid buildup in the abdominal area, and your vet can drain it to make her more comfortable. But liver disease has no cure, so the fluid will eventually build up again.

How old is your hen?

This swelling may have nothing to do with the obstruction. If this swelling is pushing her legs apart as much as six to eight inches, she may have ascites caused by liver disease. This is fluid buildup in the abdominal area, and your vet can drain it to make her more comfortable. But liver disease has no cure, so the fluid will eventually build up again.

How old is your hen?
She is only about 2 1/2 years. I am going to call my vet again today and bring her back in. I hope that it is not ascities.

Back
Top Bottom