Eggbound?!? Need help identifying asap

YamYam

Chirping
May 8, 2021
South FL
This morning, one of my hens has started acting very strangely. I found her on a roost, and it seemed she was straining to push something out. She later came down to drink water but her wings are low and she is oddly quiet. I also noticed that she now has a dirty bum (otherwise there were no droppings from the night before).

The only thing throwing me off is that she is not in the ‘penguin’ stance and doesn’t seem to be straining to push anything out anymore.

Any guesses to what it could be? :fl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 8
Small update: I forced her some rooster booster and she ate about a teaspoon of coconut oil that I hand fed her- but now she’s back to roosting (outside). Otherwise she hasn’t eaten anything other than that..

Is her crop empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Is she pooping, and what does that look like? You can insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or obstruction. How old is she? Does she lay eggs now? If you need to observe her closely, you can place her in a wire dog crate with food and water where she can still see the others.

Is her crop empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Is she pooping, and what does that look like? You can insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or obstruction. How old is she? Does she lay eggs now? If you need to observe her closely, you can place her in a wire dog crate with food and water where she can still see the others.
Her crop is a little doughy, and her poop is watery but looks normal otherwise. She’s around 4 years old now. I’ll check for an egg right now.

Her abdomen isn’t hard and I didn’t feel any egg, I’m just so lost to what it could be. She hasn’t moved from her spot in the corner (on top of a wooden stool/chair) since this morning :(

You might want to give her a little chilled coconut oil cut into peckable pieces 1-2 tsp a day, and make sure that she is drinking. You can try massaging her crop several times a day, then each morning, recheck the crop to see if the crop starts to empty. Stool softener, doccusate or Colace can be give as well to help break up an impacted or doughy crop. Offer some moistened feed and egg for a treat, but stay away from whole grains or scratch right now.

Hens who are a little older may sometimes suffer from reproductive disorders or infection that can slow the digestive system. Consider worming her if she hasn’t been lately. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You might want to give her a little chilled coconut oil cut into peckable pieces 1-2 tsp a day, and make sure that she is drinking. You can try massaging her crop several times a day, then each morning, recheck the crop to see if the crop starts to empty. Stool softener, doccusate or Colace can be give as well to help break up an impacted or doughy crop. Offer some moistened feed and egg for a treat, but stay away from whole grains or scratch right now.

Hens who are a little older may sometimes suffer from reproductive disorders or infection that can slow the digestive system. Consider worming her if she hasn’t been lately. Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you so much for this, I’ll start treating her for her crop with the coconut oil and massages. I’ll update when she (hopefully) starts feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom