Eggbound or reproductive issues?

Calcium Gluconate is the best there is for an egg-bound bird. Vets will give it by shot because of course they can, we use it orally 1 ml over a tasty treat just a small amount of treat so your sure she is getting every bit of dose. TSC carries it.
And I don't understand the Epsom salt water for egg-bound. Just plain nice warm water to soak in will do and that way they don't drink the salt water which can cause dehydration and diarrhea.

Last edited:
If you switch to layer feed [my son uses organic chicken layer feed for his laying ducks] then your pekins will need extra niacin: there isn't enough niacin for ducks in any chicken food preparation. Laying Pekins often need extra niacin supplementation when on duck food as their requirements are much higher than duck average.

You can feed either nutritional yeast [human food and so expensive] or non-human grade brewers yeast. The amount of niacin is higher in nutritional yeast but it is very expensive. The cheapest Brewer's yeast I have found is in 5lb bags from Josh's Frogs on line directly, or through Amazon. We use one tablespoon per cup of pellets and the ducks like it.

https://www.joshsfrogs.com/

They get purina duck pellets and fresh food, like romaine, peas, cucumber, or corn. They don't get spinach and only very rarely tomato because I was reading that both can hinder calcium uptake. They get oyster shells and also their own shells.

They get grubs as treats as opposed to mealworms.
How is your duck doing now? Is she still not feeling well? I hope she makes it through this my pet duck recently passed away and she had egg issues like you describe. I do not know what she actually died from and I miss her still. Where did you read that tomatoes can cause an issue with calcium? I have searched many times and have not been able to find anything so I gave her alot of tomatoes as she really liked them and she had peas every morning. I sure hope it wasn't something I fed her that killed her, I was wondering if the lettuce I gave her the night before was tainted with something.
I hope your duck gets through this just fine

How is your duck doing now? Is she still not feeling well? I hope she makes it through this my pet duck recently passed away and she had egg issues like you describe. I do not know what she actually died from and I miss her still. Where did you read that tomatoes can cause an issue with calcium? I have searched many times and have not been able to find anything so I gave her alot of tomatoes as she really liked them and she had peas every morning. I sure hope it wasn't something I fed her that killed her, I was wondering if the lettuce I gave her the night before was tainted with something.
I hope your duck gets through this just fine
I feed my ducks tomatoes -- I grow cherry tomatoes specially for them! Tomatoes do not block absorption of calcium in humans and I doubt that they do in ducks. My ducks love peas, too. I recently had two rescues that had been abused before being dumped. They did not know that they liked peas and avoided me and peas when I fiurst got them. But when they found out that they like peas, they became as greedy as the other ducks when I dished up defrosted frozen peas.

Back
Top Bottom