Eggbound sebright hen….help!

CityChickenz

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2022
Seattle
I tried to add videos but couldn’t do it for some reason so I had to add some not super helpful photos…
I have an almost one year old silver Sebright hen and for the first time ever she became egg bound probably about 36 hours ago I think and she was just really lethargic and sleeping a lot not moving a lot just had her eyes close and feathers puffed up and she wasn’t pooping really just gooey white fluid was just kind of dripping out of her and her crop wasn’t emptying. I’ve been watching her and I started putting her in warm Epsom salt baths and rubbing olive oil on her and nothing was happening and I keep reading that you’re supposed to give her calcium but she can’t really eat she ate a tiny bit of egg today and you can tell she’s hungry and I keep trying to give her eggshells or I try to give her Tums but she won’t eat it so I don’t know how to get calcium in her and now after I put in a bath today now some egg white came out and a little bit of yellow yolk and I think it feels like there’s a bit of a piece of shell at her vent opening. I can still feel the egg in her though but I don’t know what to do and I don’t know how to help her and I don’t want her to die her crop is emptying out finally and she’s gotten some actual poop out instead of just white fluid but now she’s this is she she looks like she’s trying to push stuff out but it’s just like yolky stuff and I don’t know what to do with her I really need some advice. She’s such a special bird I can’t lose her. Also sorry for the messy voice text I just can’t type all this

Attachments

• 58B6289E-BA25-4871-8740-ED50615A4EAD.jpeg
    58B6289E-BA25-4871-8740-ED50615A4EAD.jpeg
    657 KB · Views: 26
  • 47B35DC4-584E-4348-B65A-89FA13E2B25F.jpeg
    47B35DC4-584E-4348-B65A-89FA13E2B25F.jpeg
    764.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 99D133D6-5BBD-4B6E-8F30-1C551D90039C.jpeg
    99D133D6-5BBD-4B6E-8F30-1C551D90039C.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 7
I would open her beak and insert half of a Tums. She should swallow it. Since she is a bantam, she probably only needs about 200-300mg of the calcium. That can increase muscle contraction and help her to expel the rest of the egg. Calcium citrate with vitamin D is best to give, and is found in most drug stores, Walmart, Walgreens, Target, etc. But Tums will do for now until you get that. It sounds like she was egg bound and that it broke and she is expelling the remnants. There also could be another egg coming. Have you noticed any soft shell eggs recently?

I would open her beak and insert half of a Tums. She should swallow it. Since she is a bantam, she probably only needs about 200-300mg of the calcium. That can increase muscle contraction and help her to expel the rest of the egg. Calcium citrate with vitamin D is best to give, and is found in most drug stores, Walmart, Walgreens, Target, etc. But Tums will do for now until you get that. It sounds like she was egg bound and that it broke and she is expelling the remnants. There also could be another egg coming. Have you noticed any soft shell eggs recently?
It was strange, there was one TINY empty Softshell egg on the towel she was on all night - like the size of a dime. But I could feel an egg in her earlier that I can’t really feel so I’m guessing there is still a Softshell in there. She’s just not trying to push anything out and the stuff that did come out only happened after I soaked her. She was pretty awake and a little feisty again but now she’s lethargic again like she’s just giving up and too tired to deal with it. I’m really freaked out. But I’ll try to just make her eat some that way

I’m so mad bc I always give her eggshells when I have some but definitely oyster shells (although it’s hard bc 75% of most bags are pieces that are too big for her so it’s a huge waste) but I just bought some food a week ago that said it’s calcium fortified to the point that you “don’t have to offer oyster shells or any other calcium” which sounded great since it’s so difficult to find any that are the right size for her….but here we are so I’m guessing that was probably a load of 🐎💩

I would get her the calcium citrate 600+vit D3 ASAP and give half a tablet to her twice a day.
Just pull down on her wattles while she is sitting on your lap and slip it into her beak. Then immediately let go of her wattles to let her swallow.

As the egg broke inside her oviduct, she might need some antibiotics as well to prevent deadly infection.

Sometimes the egg can reverse direction and go up into the abdomen. This is known as internal laying. When a hen starts having these odd eggs, it is a sign there may be salpingitis or other issues happening. They may feel lousy and weak for a bit, feel better when they pass something, and then when another egg is on the way, feel lousy again. I’m not a vet, but reading threads here all the time, I have learned that calcium may help, but if it doesn’t, there may not be anything you can do. If the shell gland in the oviduct is the problem, calcium won’t help. If she is calcium deficient, then calcium may help. The best thing for hens when suffering like this, is to stop laying altogether. Hormone implants may stop that, but they are not always available. If an egg breaks inside or is suspected to have broken, antibiotics such as amoxicillin may help fight infection.

Weird I thought I responded to this but I guess I never actually finished it so I have not noticed any soft shell except for yesterday I can’t member if I put this in the post or not but she said at some point I guess on the towels that she was on I’m guessing it came from her she must’ve pushed it out at some point but there was like a dime size like mini mini softshell egg with nothing in it so just like a like a dime sized empty soft shell I have no idea when it came out but it had to come out of her because it didn’t come out of my giant birds that are laying yet but I don’t other than that I haven’t seen any pieces of shell or anything but I am assuming that’s what it is because I can’t feel the egg in her anymore after all that kind of egg white and a little yolky looking stuff came out and she still having some kind of yolky (very smelly) poops but not very much but also she hasn’t eaten anything. she tried to yesterday and I could tell she was really hungry but she couldn’t get more than a couple pieces down and her crop has emptied out now finally. I don’t know if I put that my last post or not but so she hasn’t eaten anything else I’ve put the Tums in her beak and she swallowed it but I’ve given her a good amount and she’s just more and more tired and lethargic and just wants to close her eyes I soaked her in the tub again today and nothing happened like it did yesterday. I can’t feel any hard shell I’m obviously I’mtrying to be really gentle but I’m guessing it’s a soft shell but I can’t get her to push it out she’s so tired and she’s just like giving up she just wants to close her eyes and go to sleep and I don’t know what to do because I can’t get her to have contractions and push it out and I’m really freaking out

I would get her the calcium citrate 600+vit D3 ASAP and give half a tablet to her twice a day.
Just pull down on her wattles while she is sitting on your lap and slip it into her beak. Then immediately let go of her wattles to let her swallow.

As the egg broke inside her oviduct, she might need some antibiotics as well to prevent deadly infection.
What kind of antibiotics?!

Back
Top Bottom