Eggbound sebright hen….help!

You might want to start tube feeding her to prevent further starvation.
Weird I thought I responded to this but I guess I never actually finished it so I have not noticed any soft shell except for yesterday I can’t member if I put this in the post or not but she said at some point I guess on the towels that she was on I’m guessing it came from her she must’ve pushed it out at some point but there was like a dime size like mini mini softshell egg with nothing in it so just like a like a dime sized empty soft shell I have no idea when it came out but it had to come out of her because it didn’t come out of my giant birds that are laying yet but I don’t other than that I haven’t seen any pieces of shell or anything but I am assuming that’s what it is because I can’t feel the egg in her anymore after all that kind of egg white and a little yolky looking stuff came out and she still having some kind of yolky (very smelly) poops but not very much but also she hasn’t eaten anything. she tried to yesterday and I could tell she was really hungry but she couldn’t get more than a couple pieces down and her crop has emptied out now finally. I don’t know if I put that my last post or not but so she hasn’t eaten anything else I’ve put the Tums in her beak and she swallowed it but I’ve given her a good amount and she’s just more and more tired and lethargic and just wants to close her eyes I soaked her in the tub again today and nothing happened like it did yesterday. I can’t feel any hard shell I’m obviously I’mtrying to be really gentle but I’m guessing it’s a soft shell but I can’t get her to push it out she’s so tired and she’s just like giving up she just wants to close her eyes and go to sleep and I don’t know what to do because I can’t get her to have contractions and push it out and I’m really freaking out
I would not put her in the water tub again at this stage, it can push an already exhausted bird over the edge .
Better to sit her on a warm and moist towel ( heating plate for waterer or similar underneath the towel) and let her rest in a quiet place after administering the calcium citrate.

Aquarium air tubing, about a 12-15 inch length, along with a feed store 35 ml syringe, makes a good beginning feeding tube. That works for raw egg, plain yogurt, water with vitamins and electrolytes, and perhaps KayTee baby bird feed. For thicker food, or ground chicken feed with a lot of water, a larger tube would be better. A vet might sell one, they have them online, and some feed stores may sell baby goat feeders. Here is one with a 14 French tube, good for feeding:
https://www.amazon.com/Agri-Pro-Ent...words=lamb+feeding+tube&qid=1693673102&sr=8-2

Back
Top Bottom