egglaying question

Peri

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Today I read that chickens start to lay eggs at 4 months of age. That didn't surprise me. What surprised me was that they stop at 12 months of age but can live 5 to 11 years old. Is this true or does the egg laying just slow down? To what age do they lay eggs and then what do I do with them after they're done? Do they just become like grandmothers to the new born chicks?

My other question is at what age would you absolutely not slaughter a chicken to put on the table for dinner?Does the meat get so tough that you can't even slow cook it to tenderize it? What about extra roosters? I don't know what I have yet but I'm guessing there are a couple of roosters in there ... I hope so anyway. How many roosters should I have per chicken and then what do I do with the extras.

I believe that a hen will lay regularly for up to 12 months. After that, they may slow down a couple of eggs per week. I have 2 hens that are 3 years old and they still lay eggs, but they have slowed way down.

You decision as to what you want to do with your hens is up to you. They can live a long time. I've read that they can also be eaten, but need to be cooked a long time.

Your roosters should be slaughtered by 16 weeks of age. Otherwise, the meat gets tough.

It is recommended that you have 8-10 hens per rooster.

Good luck!

Angie

I have a BLRW (Madam fluffy butt).
big_smile.png
she is over 2 years old and lays beautiful brown eggs. She lays two days straight and takes a day off then lays two days and takes a day off. So five a week. She is much better laying than my 6 month old Americaunas. I have three of them and might get 6 eggs a week between all three. You just can never tell how they are going to do. I hope that helps.

I have hens that range between 7 and 3 years of age. They all still lay. The oldest lay around 3 eggs a week in the summer, but take the winter off. I keep them around because they are my pets.
smile.png

i have 14 month old chickens that are laying great. in fact, out of our 7 hens, we got 7 eggs yesterday. they just supposedly slow down after 2 years, and that is when the egg companies slaughter them

My hens are 26 months old, still laying every other day, so I'm getting close to a dozen eggs a day out of 13 hens.
Not all breeds start laying at 4 months (16 weeks). My first hen to lay did so at 19 weeks old, but two of her sisters didn't start until 38 weeks old.
Sounds like the info. you got was geared more towards the commercial market. I know around here in the commercial battery (egg-laying) houses they do away with the hens at 60 weeks.
Unless a hen is very gentle, she won't become anyones grandma. In fact, older hens can kill chicks that don't belong to them.
One roo to every 10 to 12 hens, more if you're not looking for great fertility. Any extras can be eaten, given away or sold.

Back
Top Bottom