Egglaying time for my Breeds and Feed question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunshine23, Nov 12, 2010.

1. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    My girls are almost 14 weeks and I haven't changed their baby chick feed yet, when should I do that?

I would also like to know according to their breed when they'll more or less start laying (I know it can vary but just an idea)

I have one of each: SLW, GLW, Silver Cuckoo Maran, Speckled Sussex, Easter Egger and RIR

2. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Bump...nobody? [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I really can only advise you on the feed. You say you have them on "baby chick feed". I assume you mean starter/grower. If it's just starter (not starter/grower) and chick grower is available where you live you could switch them now. Then you will make the switch to layer feed later on.
    If what you are feeding is starter/grower you can leave them on it until around the 18 to 20 week range or when you get your first egg; whichever comes first. The exact timeline should be listed on the back of the bag.

I have EEs and speckled sussex, but not SLW, GLW, Silver Cuckoo Maran, or RIRs, though mine are young yet and haven't started laying. They're 22 weeks old.

In general, the speckled sussex are considered early layers and the EEs are later.
    Here's the Henderson's chicken chart which should give you an idea on the others:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I have SLW's and RIR's and they all started laying around 20-21 weeks. As for the EE they were much later....out all my hens it took them the longest, probably more like 28-30 weeks. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by