Egglaying time for my Breeds and Feed question

sunshine23

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Hialeah, FL
My girls are almost 14 weeks and I haven't changed their baby chick feed yet, when should I do that?

I would also like to know according to their breed when they'll more or less start laying (I know it can vary but just an idea)

I have one of each: SLW, GLW, Silver Cuckoo Maran, Speckled Sussex, Easter Egger and RIR

Bump...nobody?
hu.gif

I really can only advise you on the feed. You say you have them on "baby chick feed". I assume you mean starter/grower. If it's just starter (not starter/grower) and chick grower is available where you live you could switch them now. Then you will make the switch to layer feed later on.
If what you are feeding is starter/grower you can leave them on it until around the 18 to 20 week range or when you get your first egg; whichever comes first. The exact timeline should be listed on the back of the bag.

I have EEs and speckled sussex, but not SLW, GLW, Silver Cuckoo Maran, or RIRs, though mine are young yet and haven't started laying. They're 22 weeks old.

In general, the speckled sussex are considered early layers and the EEs are later.
Here's the Henderson's chicken chart which should give you an idea on the others:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited:
I have SLW's and RIR's and they all started laying around 20-21 weeks. As for the EE they were much later....out all my hens it took them the longest, probably more like 28-30 weeks. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom