eggs and a question regarding crosses

I will be hatching mutts as soon as I get my incubator!
Good luck and sorry for you loss, I lost a turken pullet on Sunday, she hopped over the wrong fence and my mastiff got her.
She was a sweetie.

I hatch out mutts all the time although i do have some pure breed ones come out sometimes but it is really interesting for me to see what you are going to get. I mean if you set a bunch of RIR eggs you are going to get RIR with mutts they always keep you guessing and they can be quite pretty sometimes.

chicken "breeds" are a totally man-made construct. something we do simply to please ourselves aesthetically so there is nothing wrong with allowing "chickens" to do what they do in nature quite naturally!
AND if it brings you some comfort in your grief i'd say do it for sure. at this point it's all about you feeling better and getting through your saddness. if you do hatch please post some photos for us!
love.gif

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of fert. eggs from my flock.. with a d'Anvers roo and br/rir/nh girls. LOL! ARG! Doesn't seem to be getting the job done, although I'm sure it involves some serious gymnastics for him.

I say GO FOR IT! The only issue I've run into was from a group someone else gave me. Three babies, two have turned out to be roos. Mixed breed. I can't seem to find a home for the boys (not much interest in mutts, I guess, when so many gorgeous purebred roos need homes)

Maybe I should go the 'designer dog' route, and call them a Silkie-icauna. LOL!

Meghan

The only 'frowning' I've seen on byc with respect to 'mutt' chickens is if someone represents them (unknowingly or, especially, otherwise) as being of a particular breed that they're not.

if people never mixed different kinds of chickens, there'd be darn few different breeds in the first place! I'd say go for it!

Pat

Thanks. I don't even know if the eggs are fertile but the mille fleur roo sure does practice at it a lot
big_smile.png
I gave a few eggs to my friend. If any of them hatch they will be the following crosses speckled sussex/mille fleur dorking/mille fleur polish/mille fleur and EE/mille fleur My neighbor in front of me lost a bantam roo and wants to get a few chicks. So I collected up some eggs from my girls and I guess we'll see what if anythign we get. I just want the ss/mf cross as it would be a "Dot" kid.

Well I for one hope it's okay to have mutts because I'm hoping for some! LOL!
I have a leghorn roo and 4 cochin pullets and I'm hope for some little ones this spring. I'm also hope the the cross will produce little bigger eggs than my cochins are laying.

I think when you are not planning on showing a specific breed anything goes!
smile.png

I have both. Yes, most of my chickens are purebreds and I have some separated for breeding, but I also have several "accidental" crosses that I adore and wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Pat is right-the only frowning down on crossbred chickens that I've seen here is when they are fraudently represented as pures. Crosses can be lots of fun and quite educational as well.

Nope, no plans on anything other than enjoying my girls. This forum is addictive. I have now found myself wanting a blue chicken
lol.png
I have seen those splash, blue, lavendar orps and now I *want* one! I think there should be a Chickens Anonymous as I for one have found them most addicting!

Back
Top Bottom